The IRS will be in charge of implementing your buying healthcare.

If you don't show proof of it they will fine you up to 5% of your income (right now up to $750). If you don't pay up they will deduct it from your returns. If you don't get one, they will prosecute.
I'm not sure they do their job well enough to add this to it too. Leaving that aside, is theri anyone here who doesn't buy insurance by choice? What are your plans when this goes through?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you have any links or is this just it?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Ya, I'm going to need some more information. At this point, I'm thinking this is merely speculation. There's no solid bill that's being passed at this point.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have heard Obama say this, Why is it his followers do not know what he is doing?????????
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I know y'all...we should wait till they PASS the final bill at 2am one morning before we worry about whats in there! Because I mean its not like these people have LIED to us OVER AND OVER. WHY are people being so BLIND?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Hmmm, I don't even think I'm necessary against this. I'd have to think about it some more, but I'm not going to get angry with something I possibly agree with. But here, to pacify those who think I should be... grrrr. I'm so mad.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• singing  Come on, SING IT WITH ME!!!!!       Wait And See, Wait and See!!!!       rock n roll

Anonymous

• we don't have health insurance, kind of by choice. the cost is way too high for us right now. we are self employed and have a lot of educational debt. we pay cash for birthing our babies. My dh is a chiropractor and he is our primary care essentially. My kids have medicaid, but we would only use it for emergencies. we pay cash for dental, vision and back to school check ups. We focus on prevention through living well. The tax imposed for not purchasing health insurance makes me angry. like others we will have to wait and see exactly what it would be. $750 a year is still cheaper than health insurance. i am really nervous about what the president may sign. what really makes me angry is the number of our representatives that are left out of this decision making process. i thought this was america!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It's all Bush's fault, you know. (isn't it always?)
    Anonymous

• So? All drivers have to buy auto insurance right? If you hit me and you arent covered by insurance than I have to eat all the costs. Same logic applies to those that dont have health insurance, if you go to the hospital, and you're uninsured, the hospital, doctors, govt and taxpayers eat the costs because the uninsured rarely can afford the exorbitant health care bills. And do you have a link that says there is a guaranteed mandate going to be passed?

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 1:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• So? All drivers have to buy auto insurance right?

Yes, but you don't need to drive in order to live in the USA. That is the fundamental difference. Apples and oranges, m'dear.

Anonymous