Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's friend won't talk to him anymore because of me

My son is 10 and kind of quiet. He is a good friend to people but due to where we live he doesn't have a lot of kids to play with. One boy has been coming over lately but I have had problems with him years ago and then again lately. He tells my son I am fat. I finally mentioned this to his mother. I felt that she should know. (I hear bad things about his family and even found rx drugs in my yard to treat heroin addiction with the dad's name on it.) She was nice about it and apologized but now this boy is ignoring my son. I feel terrible. They did play together so nice. He did get in fight with my son 2 years ago and another child had to intervene so maybe I've never been a fan of this kid and family to begin with. I think this kid was not the best for my son in the long run but its almost all he had right now and like I said they played together great here lately. How can I rectify this and should I? I'm sick over it.

Answer Question

Asked by espresso127 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I think your son is better off not having that kid as a friend. I sure wouldn't want my child to have a friend like that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • kids are fickle. i would not be to upset. your son will find real friends that don't drop off like that... the seasonal friends are not important to concern urself with. just let ur son know that everything is okay if he seems upset. explain to him that that kid wasnt worth it if is so flighty... etc.

    I also agree with anon. I wouldn't want my child to be friends with that.. You should NEVER find pill bottles in ur yard... thats frightening... how did they get there? Personally I would have called dhs or something. a kid should not have pills that are not prescribed to him Period

    Answer by MoMoFu at 12:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • Your son will be fine and get over it..explain to him what happened.

    I just wanted to add that if the persciption you found that "treats heroine addiction" was methadone..its also used to treat chronic pain. Either way im suprised the pill bottle found its way to your yard, though im assuming it was empty.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • I think that you can do so much for your child. Enroll him in some activities, find social networks related to his interest. Part of raising our children involves teaching them about good and bad influences and to be resilient about peer pressure. This boy is rude, mean, disrespectful so I wouldn't want my child near him. Enroll him in a sport, karate, book club, anything give him more opportunities to develop positive friendships.

    Answer by bebita at 12:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • You may want to put your ds into a Boy Scout Troop.

    Answer by sonnalynn at 12:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • I agree with anon 1147. and bebita and sonnalynn. I thinking the same thing

    Answer by incarnita at 11:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • Sometimes mommas are the better judge of good friends. Give him the opportunity to make friends in a better atmosphere, boyscouts, science clubs, book clubs, sports, etc. I hate to add this, but even if it's an inconvenience to you.

    Not that this would help, but my daughter smacked a kid who said I was fat LOL. I talked to his mom and started cracking up and said "hell, I'm not much smaller than you are so I must be fat too". We had a good laugh over that.

    Answer by crittermomma at 12:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.