Congestive Heart failure??? Anyone know about it?

They believe my husband, who is only 37 years old has congestive heart failure. The heart dr gave him some water pills for the swelling in his legs. If that does not work then he will set up an appt for an Angiogram? But what happens if the water pill is not working for the swelling?? Does this mean he will have to have surgery? I am freaking out, though I can't let him know that because if I do then he will. Help, anyone who has or has known someone with this? THank you in advance.

dolphinkisses

Asked by dolphinkisses at 11:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• Surgery, no. The diuretics should reduce the workload on the heart by lowering blood volume and therefore blood pressure. If the swelling doesn't go away with the diuretic alone, an angiotensin receptor blocker such as losartan and/or a beta blocker such as propanalol may be prescribed along with the diuretic to further reduce the workload on the heart. It's very important for your husband to adopt some lifestyle changes, such as a low-salt diet, weight loss and exercise, supervised (of course) by his physician.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thank you! I am just stressing more than I should. He did have a small heart attack three years ago. They have him on nine medications right now. The dr also at the same time with the water pill gave him the pill to help him lose weight. He so far in two weeks has lost 15 pounds. But still very swollen.
    dolphinkisses

Answer by dolphinkisses at 12:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• They thought my grandmother had that around christmas time...they did some tests and found out it was just a clogged artery, so they put a shunt in to keep it open, and she will be fine....my mother also had the same problem. Maybe it's nothing. Good luck, and I hope all is well.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Ask your doctor. Do not wait if you are that worried. Better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

• To help with the legs swelling up, have him lay down with his legs elevated. It should help reduce swelling. Reducing his SODIUM intake will also help out. Good luck.
    Anonymous