Is bathroom mold a health hazard?

Is it harmful for children especially, it comes off with bleach but after a week it's back.

p8ns_mama

Asked by p8ns_mama at 11:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• it comes back bc bleach doesn't kill mold. The EPA guidelines for mold remediation say not to use bleach. Bleach causes the mold to rapidly release spores into the air.

Use hydrogen peroxide. Also, your ventilation system may have spores in it. Clean it out.

pink and black and green and every color mold --- all bad. They all produce mycotoxins that can trigger asthma and allergies. Different people have different levels of reaction.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• YES! black mold is harmful to people of all ages!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• google aspergillus
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• yes!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 12:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thank you so much, I didn't know that about the bleach. See we live in base housing so I am going to ask to move!
    p8ns_mama

Answer by p8ns_mama at 3:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Jenna, I asked and housing says they scrape all the caulking when you move out and put fresh in but they can't prevent it from coming back. I have asked about it too. I will have to try the peroxide. we have the black in the 4 corners and pink all along the sides. I have been using the SOS soft scrub and it works for a week then comes right back
    beckygeiger

Answer by beckygeiger at 10:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• they are coming today to "inspect it" we'll see what they say, it covers our whole ceiling and walls, and if I do take too hot of a shower pinkish brown stuff drips from the ceiling! weird, I don't know what that is!
    p8ns_mama

Answer by p8ns_mama at 12:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2010