I need advise from bartender moms, especially in the Dallas area

I want to start bartending, but I'm at a loss. I've heard people say go to bartending school, don't go to bartending school....and all the pros and cons. Some people say it's the best thing they ever did, some people say it's a waste of money. I went through the internet and found what I believe to be a good training center with a good reputation, so I put my name on the roster for classes at the end of the month. I was really excited until I found out it's quite a ways away from where I live (I'm new to the area and didn't take it into consideration. Dallas is so much bigger than back home.) So it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to work that out. Am I out of options? I'd really appreciate any advice.

MommyAddie

Asked by MommyAddie at 12:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• go to school for it! i went to 1 in houston and i got my licence in less than a week! it will help u get jobs @ the best bars, and hotel bars!
    _mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 12:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I've worked at a local restaurant - waiting tables and managing for years now. We would never hire someone who went to bartending school. If you talk to people, most people that went to bartending school can't get a job. My suggestion would be to start working where you want to tend bar (host, wait tables, etc), once you are in good with the management let them know that you want to bartend, when you aren't busy watch the bartender and learn the "recipes" for at least the common drinks, when a position opens up make it known that you want it.
    Yes, my approach will take some time but it's what I would suggest. A lot of restaurant/bars don't hire people off the street to come in and bartend, whether they've been to "bartending school" or not.

Answer by missanc at 2:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2010