What behavior or action would compel you to ask your child to leave your home?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 12:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• There does come a point where you can do no more to help. Offering help only works if the other person accepts it. Allowing your child to keep living with you once they are an adult requires that they start acting like one. That means doing productive things with their day, contributing to the household and not mooching off mom and dad. Believe me, we gave my step son numerous chances, had numerous conversations, went to counselling etc. It got to the point that he was a significant strain on our family as a whole and it was becoming obvious we were enabling him.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 5:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Bringing drugs into our home.. No questions, if they want to ruin his life I'm not going to support or enable it..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If he was stealing or abusing another family member. I would seek help first but if he was 18 I would ask him to leave.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• There isn't one in my book, before taking such drastic measures, I would hep the cause in any way or form I could, never giving up.

Answer by older at 12:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• drug abuse, selling drugs, especially over the age of 18. Any repeated criminal act. My husband is a cop, there will be none of that crap in my home.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If they were abusing drugs, I would offer them help, if they refused they would be out,,,,but depending on how old the kid is that may not be a viable option. I would also ask them to leave if they were abusing me, or if they were an adult child who refused to get a job or help? More info?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Torturing, murdering and wearing the skins of hookers would do it for me.
    Anonymous

• Of course if they are minors then I will do all I can to help them, if they are 18 or older they will be out on their butts!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would not kick my kid out unless they posed a threat to our lives. And even then, I would send them to hospital. I have lived on the streets as a kid, and would not wish that on anyone.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Any dangerous activity that I see as a potential harm for themselves or anyone else in our home, but only over the age of 18. Until then I am obligated as a parent to care for my child in any way that I can. If they are under 18 I will seek all the professional help that I can to help them become a better person.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010