Do you allow adults to talk to your teen?

I'm trying to keep my cool, our neighbor who is a jerk thinks he can talk to my 13 year old. Like if he has a problem with him, I think he should come to me or DH and not speak to my kid. I am close to telling him off but would rather keep the peace. Then again he is wrong. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• for the most part I'm pretty sure it would annoy me- when mine were kids/little I used to get really irritated if someone had something to say to them at the strore or whatever- that's MY job!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Why would your neighbor have a problem with your kid? If he broke/vandalized my property I would talk to him and then talk to you! IDK why he would even be interested in him if he wasn't causing any problems, sounds very odd, and I would go over and talk to him tonight!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• He has no right to talk to your son. If he has a problem with your son or something your son has done, he talks to YOU about it. His behaviour is inappropriate. Tell your son not to talk to him and if he approaches your son tell your son to ignore him and to come get you or another parent right away.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have to answer because i had the same situation occur. Mine was because the man thought my 13y/o son was talking crap about his 15y/o, bigger, taller kid. LOL The man came up into another kids yard to yell and threaten my son. My son, that normally isn't quite so verbal and confrontational, chewed the man up one side and down the other while using profanity and all in said mans face while proceeding to tell him that he was the biggest piece of crap man for threatening to beat up a 13 y/o. Afterwards, my son came home and called me and explained everything. When i got home from work, the man came to my house and apologized for what had happened and then asked me to keep my son from talking crap to his son. The same son that comes over to ask if my son is home, decides to shoot airsoft pistols with him...blah, blah, blah. Nothing else has occured since and I never did a thing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If my children are doing something inappropriate when i'm not around then I expect the adult there to say something. If my yongest, 10, is misbehaving at a friends house I expect the friends parents to correct it and THEN let me know so I can do something about it at home. Same with my 16 year old son. I'm not with my kids 24/7. They have lives away from home. But I would appreciate knowing about undesireable behavior so I can do some correcting of my own at home
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Never would I say something to someones kid. Even if they told me to. They don't mean it. They will just get upset. Even my BIL gets upset at me if I tell his son not to scream and run through the house. He feels he's just a kid and leave him alone.
    Anonymous

• I totally disagree and this is exactly part of the problem we have as a society. I did not grow up in Leave it to Beaver land" but I guarantee you If I was misbahaving any parent on the street would have called my butt onn it. I knew I better listen. I also knew beyond a doubt they would contact my parents. Every loked out for everyone. That is why we could go play in the woods w/o fear of the bad guy would would snatch us. It is why we could walk to the store in town without an adult.
    If your son did something wrong and this man is not screaming and behaving inappropriately towards him..I would ask my son WHAT was said and what was going on. If he was wrong I would reinforce the neighbor.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• oh no only if i no them well and i am present this man has no real right to do so i am sorry to hear that and yes i agree keep the peace but you can and have the right to tell him to come to you if he has a problem with your kids and that if he had something to say to your kid that he should do it in your presence cause you don't no him well enough and he has no right to talk to your kids without your permission if its going to cause problems
    christina2020

Answer by christina2020 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i also would have to disagree with eyedgrandma yes we have many problems today with misbehaving kids today but that is lack at home and home is who should take care of the problem and not stangers that u don't no in todays society, to much danger in this world to let anyone take action today
    christina2020

Answer by christina2020 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• For the most part I have no issue with it. If I have a problem with a teenager I deal with it at that moment in time, respectufully and give the child the benifit of the doubt that he/she will correct the behavior with out having to tattle to mommy and daddy.

However, you must go with your gut. If this guy sets off your creep alarm YOU need to go deal with him.
    Anonymous