Do any TTC ladies worry about taking OTC medications and if they might be pregnant?

I have a cold and I am taking cold meds for it, but I worry constantly if I might be pregnant and if they will affect things. I had an ectopic several months ago, and still wonder (irrationally) if it may have been caused by taking ibuprophen prior to finding out I was pregnant.

acollins09

Asked by acollins09 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think it would affect things at all. Especially since you are trying and testing, most likely, you are going to find out pretty early along that you are pregnant. Think about it, girls get pregnant all the time and don't know it. There are always the stories that they went out and partied, got drunk come to find out a week later that they are pregnant and the babies are fine. I would say you are good to go. But I will add I understand why you feel this way, especially with your last pregnancy. I had a m/c with my first and was the same with everything I did. I didn't want to cause another m/c especially if didn't even know I was pregnant yet. As you said, that is very irrational. We don't know why and can't really control why those things happen. Best to luck to you!
    Anonymous

• Don't take cold meds. They don't work well and aren't worth the risk.

It is important to start taking prenatal vitamins and eating well at least 3 months before ttc. Of course you want to stop smoking, drinking, and using recreational drugs. Before ttc you need to check with your MD about your regular meds and medical conditions. The World Health Organization recommends waiting at least 3 years after your last birth before ttc.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Gailll, thank you for the information, even though I didn't need it.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Have some warm chicken soup or lemonade when you feel like you need something. IBU won't cause an eptopic pregnancy. You did nothing to cause that. It's one of those things that happens. I'm sorry you feel bad about it you shouldn't.
    Anonymous