Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if your in the military can you get food stamps?

my husband is active army his rank is E2 and our bills are just too high and we cant afford food that well. All we can buy is banquet meals and chicken. All we need is like $70 extra dollars. I am just wondering if we could get food stamps to help out.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

Answers (12)
  • yes and WIC also. Especially the lower ranks.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • you can apply, you may not qualify though. I as the only one working in a family of 5, making $8 an hour, and we made too much money.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • I certainly hope so! I would much rather FS go to military families than scum.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • Depending on the state I would suppose. I know when my hub was in the military and low ranking enlisted we qualified for food stamps and WIC, we never used either though because I just didn't have the patientce for it lol

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • Yes you can get it. If you get denied I know it might be embarrassing but he should tell his squad leader and he can help him out. The army is always willing to help their own. The FRG will buy you food and they will give donations. One of my husbands friends was having a hard time and we bought them groceries. Your not alone there are alto of military families that need help. Never feel embarrassed.

    Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • I wrote this anon because i was scared of ppl being mean to me. But hey since no one is I want post anon. I think we are gonna try. I just want to eat better food. plus my cholasterol is extreamly high so I have been looking at the levels of it on the foods in my house and now I know whhy. I am ready to lower it.

    Answer by mimi_emc2 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • Yes! Go for it! The worst they can do is say no, which, being that he's an E2, I don't think they will. $8 an hour is more than what an E2 makes! Apply for WIC as well! Go to a Fleet and Family Services on base and they can help you as well! The miltary offers so many resources that I wish I would've known about when I was an E2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! My husband and I are both active duty Navy, and based on where your husband is stationed, I may be able to help you find those resources.

    Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • yes

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • Yes you can. Go apply, there is nothing to be ashamed of to need help for your family.

    To the anon that said she didn't qualify and she was making $8 and hour with a family of 5; you need to appeal it. I make $10 an hour with 2 people and qualify. There may be other things in your case that cause you to not be qualified. One person cannot live on $8 an hour, let alone 5.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • mimi if your military you can get seen on the clinic and get referred to a HAWC and they also can offer free services to work with you on diet and ways to lower your levels. I was found to be IR and HAWC is worknig with me on both diet and exercise.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.