Irregular periods on IUD?

I've peed on a stick several times and they keep coming up negative so I know I'm not pregnant. Just to get that out of the way.

My question to anyone with the Paragard IUD is did it make you have irregular periods? Mine were monthly until October (just had it inserted in June). I missed a month with only light spotting and got my period after 8 weeks. Now it's been 7 weeks from my last period but I'm not pregnant.

HPT's are getting expensive (even dollar store ones) but I don't have any insurance so I can't just run to the doctor. I know there is an adjustment period of up to a year but I WAS regular until recently.

I also find I've been breaking out a lot more in the face. I never had an acne problem before but IDK if this can be attributed to non hormonal BC.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• I had my Paraguard almost a year now and a couple times I have had 48+ day cycles that freaked me out a little. The Mirena is hormonal and often gets rid of your period altogether so you cannot compare the two at all. I would start tracking when you ovulate and see what is going on there. Typically you ovulate 14 days after you start your period and then start your period 14 days later. What usually makes cycles longer is the 14 days from period to ovulation being longer. Most women with long cycles still ovulate and have a period 14-16 days later so maybe if you watch when you ovulate then you would have a better idea of when you should be starting your period.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• eh....i have a mirena, not the same iud but an iud none the less....i had regular periods for he first 5 or 6 months...then i missed a month and got my period after 7 or 8 weeks...then i had a light spotting 7 or 8 weeks after that...now 9 months later, no more periods!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thanks ladies. IDK how to chart ovulation but I'll look it up. Glad to know I'm not alone. At least a little bit.
    Anonymous

• Oh look, Aunt Flo decided to show up today. Thanks for the answers ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2010