food fit?!

so my 20 month old ate a whole bole of dry cereal for breakfast, juice and milk to drink, after he was done he say the package of crackers on the counter and started flipping out! I told him no, he just ate and we got up late so I will fix him lunch in a little bit but holy cow, I have never seen him throw such a fit! screaming crying flailing around on the floor. I picked him up told him he couldn't act like that and put him in his crib, told him I would come back when he was done. Which is what I do when he throws fits all the time, it only takes like a few minutes for him to calm down when he is by himself, but not this time, he has already been in there 5, do I stand my ground or do I go in and comfort him? give in? I don't know what to do? (NO BASHING PLEASE!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stand your ground! Do NOT give in, I went through the same thing with all my kids and made the mistake of giving in to the middle one (he was the hardest) and to this day he will still try to throw a fit to get what he wants (even though he's 11 and it sure doesn't work to his advantage now). so don't give in! As far as his eating, he is probably going through a growth spurt. now is a great time to start teaching really healthy eating habits. A bigger breakfast will keep them full longer. Try giving him a scrambled egg, some whole grain toast or cereal (cheerios are ok but I like the Kashi brand better), some diced fruit pieces and a cup of milk for breakfast. Whole grains a proteins will help him stay full longer. Don't give in to him wanting any kind of junk foods either.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Stand your ground. He's looking for you to cave, and when you do he'll know what lengths he'll have to go next time to get you to cave again. Don't let him manipulate you. Let him throw his fit and then go back in when he calms down. Be strong, he's fine in there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Even at 20 months, he is testing his boundries and knows exactly what he is doing. Don't confront or give in. You could simply say, "when you stop screaming, you can get out." Say it calmly. He will get to eat soon and won't starve. He also won't get hurt by screaming in his crib. HTP.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I agree with standing your ground. However, it is completey possibile he was still hungry. Kids suddenly go through growth spurts where they are unfillable for a few weeks..then they will eat little and a month later outgrow everything they own. I'm not saying you should have given him the crackers. Next time I would ask him if he was still hungry...then offer a piece of fruit, or some yogurt or something else better than crackers. You can always feed a lihter or little later lunch.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Stand your ground. If you go in there, he is going to think that he can get away with this all the time. It only takes one time for them to think that. He is approaching the terrible 2's. My Son is already there!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The "What to Expect" books say to pick your battles because we, as parents, can't have a totalitarian rule over our children without negative side-effects later. In this case, if it was my son and he wanted some crackers after he had finished his breakfast, I would have just given them to him. If he was truly hungry enough to eat them, then what's the harm? Most parents go nuts trying to get their toddlers to eat. Having one want to eat heartily would be cause for joy for them................
    Anonymous

• cont.

I forgot to add that the crackers would have been given by me before the tantrum. Once the tantrum starts, then you are obligated to stand your ground or else they think they can win with it.
    Anonymous