Do you prefer a mutt or a purebred for a dog?

I honestly prefer a pure bred, but I know a lot of people who prefer mutts because they say they are healthier, which is true.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 1:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Pets

• It honestly depends on the dog. We have four pure bred, and they are all AWESOME pets, but I've had mutts thare are awesome, too.. So I guess I don't have an opinion! LOL
    Anonymous

• I have a Yorkie-poo which I paid quite a bit for..dont really consider her a mutt cause she was mixed on purpose lol. She is really cute and I like her. To me well behaved, no shedding and cute are what matters to me...not the breed.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have two purebred dogs not by my choice they were gifts, but I would much rather save a mutt from the pound, most of them are more intelligent than most.

Answer by older at 1:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I like mutts. They are smarter, healthier, and usually more interesting and unique looking.

But honestly anything that is not a terrier is fine by me! (We had a Yorkie when I was younger and while I love him dearly, I'd never go there again!)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I dont really care , I love all dogs. If I was to get a pit bull I would get one that was mixed. I know that all pit bulls are not violent, but I also heard it was best if it was mixed with a gentle breed. We had one that was rescued from an abusive home and it was mixed with lab, it was the nicest thing ever.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• it depends. I have both, I have a mutt and a German Shepherd, they are both amazing family members
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It depends. I have both as well. A rescued Lab/Shepherd and a Black Russian Terrier. I waited four years for the BRT and I will be showing him as well.

If you do your resesarch, don't rush into a decision and understand what you are getting into a purebred is okay to own. If you don't want to show your dog, a mutt is awesome. Especially if that mutt came from a shelter.

Its a myth that mutts or hybrid dogs are healthier than their purebred counterparts.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• ria7..it doesn't matter if the dog was mixed on purpose or not, she is still a mutt.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Mutts are very smart.I have a boxer who is the smartest dog i've ever seen,but I have a mutt who is equally smart.Ugly dogs need love too!
    MommyLove23

Answer by MommyLove23 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• 'Hybrid' dogs are such a bad fad. They are bred with no other consideration than cash.
    Mutts are no healthier, or more intelligent.
    Okay, so they have a less chance of getting specific conditions, but they could get conditions common to all the breeds that they have.
    We have a well bred, pure bred malamute. Paid a lot of money for her, as we really like the breed and the breeder was responsible with tests, shows etc and healthcare. She's not had any problems at all, and is impreccably well behaved around my daughter.
    My BIL has a GSD / something that is admittedly old, but in his time has hip dysplasia, cancer, spine problems and eye/ear problems from being a bad mix. He also has temprement problems, i.e being incredibly food/toy posessive and agressive to people.
    Mixed breeds are not healther than well bred dogs...
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2010