Messing with storm drains?

There a bunch of kids that think its fun to remove the cover from a storm drain in the corner of our yard. My husband has told them repeatedly to leave it alone, yet it keeps being done. It really scares me because without the cover it is just a big hole in the ground. If someone falls in they could really get hurt. Is it illegal for the kids to be doing this? Should I call the cops about it, or should we just keep telling them to leave it alone and replace the cover when we see it off? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Can you put a (weatherproof) lock on it?

Answer by rkoloms at 2:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would call the police to tell them what is happening. That way, if something happens in the future they should have it documented that you tried to prevent it from happening. They will also be able to tell you what your allowed to do to handle the situation.
    Anonymous

• Find out who the parents are and go and talk to them, the next time you see them messing with it, walk out and take them to their respective homes and talk to their parents. I don't think you can lock it up because it tech. belongs to the city....you could call the water dept. and explain the situation, but the last thing you need is someone falling in and breaking their necks and suing you over this!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i would def make a police report..an innocent child could fall in there for crying out loud! i would find out where each of the children live that way i could inform the police of each house and have them go over and talk to the parents..its their job...a child here was playin with matches and actually caught a yard on fire so the police had to inform his parents and threaten him to not do it again or there would be jail time...good luck and i hope this works out for you before anyone gets hurt!
    Anonymous

• First I would speak to the kids parents and let them know if it happns again you will have them charged with trespassing. I would put up a no trespassing sign and if it happens again, I would have them charged with trespassing. You might also have to make a police report in advance before they do it again. Making a police report is not being mean. In this case it's a safety issue and because it is on your property, if someone gets hurt you can be held liable.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 4:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Call the town and have them come and put a lock on it. The police aren't going to care.
    Anonymous

• if u know the kids who r doin it get them on tape or pictures even us your cell phone and then call the cop some kids stop after cops where called but sounds like u r dealing with a bunch of wise guys
    if u know the time they do it thats the fun part
    and even better if u know the parents and u and them watch them do it is even better somtimes it pays to be sneaky
    and if nothing else fails cops it wpold be
    good luck
    cherylc1962
    cherylc1962

Answer by cherylc1962 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010