have you ever had your child's bday party a week after their actual bday?

Since I wanted to give the guests atleast a 2 weeks notice of the party I had to set the party up a week after our dd's 4th bday..tomorrow is her actual birthday. How would you celebrate for tomorrow?

myfirstloves

Asked by myfirstloves at 2:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We always do parties on a Saturday within a week or two of the actual birthday, so it rarely falls on the actual birthday. With a 4 yo I would probably let her choose what she wanted for dinner on her actual birthday and discuss her upcoming party during the meal. I don't think there is any reason to go to great lengths to "make it up" to her because you aren't skipping her birthday - you're just re-scheduling it.
    Anonymous

• If we can not have our kids b-day party on there birthday. Then we make it a day about them. We either cook or go out to eat where they want to go. We also give them our present to them on there birthday. I also decorated there chair, get the birthday hat out and hang up our birthday sign in the house. We also like to get them ballons.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would give her a small gift and a special cupcake from the bakery. And make sure she knows her big party is next week. And how lucky she is that she gets to celebrate her birthday twice.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My daughter was born on thanksgiving so we always have her party about two weeks off of her actual bday-bc so many people are out of town for the holiday. On her actual birthday we go out to dinner and then have cake at home and she gets her presents from us.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yep. I have 3 boys (2 have birthdays in August, 1 in March) and what I do is I pick a Saturday during the birthday month and plan a party for the birthday boy/s and invite the family- and sometimes a few of the kids friends. Depending on when payday is, the party is either before or after the real birthdays.
    Then on the actual birthdays we have a 'just us' celebration at home where hubs and I give the birthday boy his presents from us and have a cake and ice cream at home, sometimes we eat out, or do a fun activity---depending on the budget and what the birthday boy wants to do.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes, I have even done 2 weeks after. On the day I would give him my presents, put a candle in every meal and sing. (I've done candles in waffles, pancakes, chicken nuggets, brownies) Let him pick his favorite meals. Do everything you can to make the day special. I've even filled their rooms with balloons so when they wake up it's a lot of fun.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• we do this alot as my eldests sons birthday fell on thanksgiving this year but is very close every year so we always have it after, on his actual birthday i always mak him a cake at home and let him open a few gifts.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes, sometimes it just works out that way due to the day falling during the work week. We like weekend dates better. No big deal.
    Anonymous

• several times i have celebrated a week late b/c of invitation and my lack of planning ahead! we usually just do a cake on the actual bday, sometimes a family present too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have no choice most years. My son was born on 4th of July. I have had his birthday 2 months early so his school friends can attend. In the last 13 years, his birthday party has been on his birthday 2 times.This year it will be a couple of weeks after his birthday and he will be sharing with his cousin who will be turning 13.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010