What do you think would be the right age for potty training?????

My daughters always taking off her diaper (shes 17 months by the way ) and she kind of knows when she does a pee pee and a poop I guessing that why she takes it off ( just guessing) . I was talking to a cousin and she told me to start potty training her but I dunno if its the right time or if it is .......dunno

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she can say words like "potty", "poopy", "pee", and show interest in sitting and trying. Another sign is if they can stay dry for about 2-3 hours at a time. Everyone develops at a different rate so don't feel bad if she doesn't get it at first. Whatever you do, don't push it on her :)

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I waited until 2 months before my son's third b-day and that was perfect! took 2 days

Answer by ahalisa at 4:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• you could try to start potty training her to see if she is ready

Answer by TattooedBeauty at 4:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I would suggest getting a potty chair that you can take the seat and put on your regular toilet. I have been putting my daughter on the toilet, todays day 5 and 3 of the 5 days, she poohed in the potty. I caught her as she started to squat. She's almost 17 months. She doesn't take her diaper off, but she will go get a clean one out of the drawer, if she wets her diaper. I at this point don't plan on trying to fully train her at this age. I think it's important that they be able to somewhat go on their own if your going to train them. Good Luck!

Answer by babygoose78 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I would try using a little potty and if she is not interested I would wait. I believe it is all up to the child and when he or she is ready.

Answer by zaksmom8278 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Every child is different. A few kids are ready as early as 18 months - yours might be one of them. Get a good book or check for a list of "readiness" signs. Even if she isn't quite ready, you can start "pre training" by teaching her the words you want her to use, asking her where pee pee and poop belong, asking her if mommy wears a diaper or uses the potty, teaching her to take off her pants (not a necessary skill to start but helpful).

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2008