Vampire Origins-in the bible!? *also posted in just for fun

any thoughts?
I'll give you the link...

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 2:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Fun read! I took an Archtypes and Symbols in Literature course once and vampirism was covered as a Biblically based metaphor for evil... the theory was that the actual drinking of blood was seen as the inversion of the 'symbolic' drinking of blood in Christianity and that the stake through the heart was symbolic of being impaled by the cross. Essentially the symbolism driving 'old school' vampire myth was seen as being Biblically derived even if it wasn't explicitly stated.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• pretty interesting read :)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Makes sense...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The idea of drinking Christ's blood (in communion) for eternal life could have been twisted into a vampire story. Read that somewhere else...
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• This is interesting. I've never looked at it that way but now that I have, it makes sense.
    tinkerbelle18

Answer by tinkerbelle18 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• 2Peter 3 V.16 In [the scriptures], however, are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unsteady are twisting, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Be careful! Galatians 6 v.7 Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked.
    Anonymous

• wow thats really stretchin it....

Very wrong too.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Well, thank you anon for that ominous warning. Now I am sure we are all going to go and cower in our respective corners!
    I think the overall point was the idea of vampires could have come from scripture. I didn't read anywhere in there where it said they were real or that that is what happened. It just says that is where it MIGHT have come from. But I always thought that Vlad the Impaler was where Vampire legend came from. He didn't actually kill people by drinking their blood, but it is believed that he MAY have drank the blood of people who had been killed by him or his men.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I've always thought of cain as "the first" vampire. ;] I don't consider it a mockery of God to consider Cain a vampire, really, it makes sense.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 4:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2010