can anyone give me some info. on dressing and living modestly?

so if you dress modestly how does your lifestyle change? do you have to change it? I've tried looking up some groups but most of them aren't very active. I have two young daughters and I'm not sure how I would have to change their lifestyle. (they like disney princess, hannah montana, barbies). I'm just very confused as to how to go about doing things. My oldest starts preschool and I know that eventually she will be exposed to things. I would like to dress the girls more modestly but at the same time not take away everything they enjoy. does anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am on the path to living modestly too, and the barbies and such are ok and fun for little girls to play with, but maybe you can make your own outfits for them that cover them up a little more...how I explained it to my neices was from the neck to your knees is for god to see they asked well why does that lady on tv dress like that i said because her mommy and auntie didnt teach her how to dress...then i asked how would you dress her if you could then out came the barbies with the little outfits i made ofr them....
    yes with your children in school they will have many ?s for you but you will get to answer them anyway you want...
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Modest is very subjective so it hard for others to explain.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I was raised to dress modestly. We still played with dolls and barbies and all of that. My mom made doll clothes if we couldnt find modest ones. It wasnt difficult for us as we grew up to dress appropriately because we were started young so it was just a way of life for us. We wore leggings or undershirtswith sleeves and ALWAYS a slip under dresses. Most clothes can be easily adapted to a modest or temple standard.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I think this is a good rule by which to abide: Never dress yourself or your daughters in anything that calls attention to any other part of the body except the face. This makes so much sense to me because we want others, especially guys, to be interested in our whole person, who we are on the inside, and not just be attracted to our bodies or some specific body part. A womans' face is her best assest, even if she isn't the most beautiful of women. If she has pretty eyes, she can wear a color that brings out her eyes. If she has a certain skin tone, she can accentuate that. Or her hair color!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i think the best way is to live by example for your daughters.. with mine I get stricter as they get older.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• A few suggestions. Your girls are still very young so it is not crucial just now and when they start school. if possible send them to one that mandates school uniform or at least a dress code. As they grow up, the example you set will be important. It is possible to dress modestly and still look attractive. My husband has a dress code for me which emphasises modesty but also requires me look at my best when i am out with him. And it takes account my need to be attractive to him. Modest dress for a woman should accentuate her femininity without exposing acres of flesh. not hard to do. But don't push it too hard with little girls.

janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Hubby and I decided with our kids that we would buy them modest clothes, and if they wanted to buy something immodest (so long as it's not utterly slutty) then they can do that with their own money.

In other words, we'll give them the freedom to choose, but also won't financially support immodesty.

I know I personally got into dressing modestly as a teen when I started riding a motorcycle since covering your skin is the only way to spare it from horrible road rash, that was a pretty good motivation. I started to find clothes that I thought were stylish, but still covered me more, and it became very easy from there

....modesty isn't the only reason I'd want my kids to ride a motorbike, but to be honest, it is one of them.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• it depends on what type of modesty you are going for. Some muslims, modesty means covering a lot more than most other religions. Some Christian denominations require women to at least wear skirts.. and some other religions just view modesty and dressing appropriately. (no cleavage hanging out, or short shorts or skirts, nothing too revealing). So it depends on where you are dtrying to go with this. IMO do what your best judgement tells you to do. If you feel the shirt you are wearing is inappropriate to attend to a funeral, or wedding, or church, or in a classroom.. it probably is. and lead your children by example.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The way I view modesty is stuff that isn't very low cut in the neckline or very high above the knees (like not more than 3 inches above the knees). Not so tight it shows off every curve, but you don't have to wear a poncho either.

I don't know if that explains things very well, but that's usually how I dress.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010