homemade formula

Does anyone know of a homemade lactose free formula? I noticed that my son's soy formula is nearly half corn syrup. I don't think that is a good thing to give my 5 month old. I do nurse when I am home, but i work f/t. I am trying to find something besides the bm that I pump to give my son while I'm at work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• homemade formula can be tricky to make. ask your pedi before trying it.

DYK they do sell lactose free formula?
    Anonymous

• If you buy and organic formula, it will be non-GMO soy, sweetener, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I've never heard of anyone making homemade formula. That's odd.
    Anonymous

• i have heard of a homemade formula. you could google it. i don't think any doc. would say it was ok. the only ingredient i recall is flax, i don't even remember if it was seed, meal, or oil!
    good luck, let us know what you find!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Homemade formula is not recommended. It is even worse than formula. Goats milk is not safe as has been recommended on CM.

After 4 months solids are considered better than formula for the breastfed infant of working moms who can't/won't pump enough (La Leche League). You can start your baby on banana, sweet potato, or avacado. The baby can eat solids while you are away and breastfeed while with you, including nursing during the night.

You might try the website MilkShare to see if you could get breastmilk from other mothers until your baby is 6 months.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website with info on working and breastfeeding and on starting solids. Karen Pryor's book Working and Breastfeeding is the standard on the subject. There are working breastfeeding moms on the discussion boards at Mothering Magazine, www.mothering.com

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010