Is soo confused!?!?

Ok so my Daughter just turned one. And I was soo excited cause im thinking YAY she can go on cows milk now. Well ever since I started it every night she is up screaming...Like bloody murder. She is still breast feeding a couple times a day. She only throws these horrible fits at night. I dont think that she is hungry cause she does it even after she nurses at night. I need some sleep. Could she be allergic to the cows milk...or what?? UGH!!

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter did the same thing and I had to switch her to soy milk. The cow's milk was just too hard on her. Since then we have had an allergy test and found out that she IS allergic to milk.

I would advise taking her off the cow's milk, substituting soy and seeing how she does.

In the meantime, read some information on cow's milk online. It's not as necessary and good as people think it is.
    Anonymous

• you can try rice milk instead of soy or cows milk but yeah you should have her tested just to see whats going on
    Anonymous

• Stop the cow's milk and see if the problem stops. Then you'll have your answer. :)

It can take 2 weeks for dairy to fully be eliminated from her system. Though, if you've been nursing, do YOU drink cow's milk? If yes, it's unlikely that it's suddenly a problem, but still possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• When I switched my daughter to cow's milk she got loose stools and stuff and the dr. said that most babies can handle cow's milk at about 1 yr. but some may take longer, others may be ready sooner. We just waited another month and kept her on formula and everything was fine. Now she is 17 mo. and going through what may be the same thing so we are going to try cutting back on her milk intake and mixing some skim in with the whole milk to see if her loose stools become less frequent. It could just be that it's hard for your daughter to digest the whole milk yet so hold off for a little while and then try again.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 3:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula & porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 3:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• you can drop the cows milk without adding rice, soy or almond milk. my kids all went from breast milk to water. they have diluted juice 1-2 x a week. cows milk is the #1food allergen/ intolerance. humans are the only animals that consume milk beyond the infancy stage, and that consume milk from another animal. the dairy industry has produced the best marketing plan ever!!!! We can get calcium from green leafy vegetables. my kids liked red kale when they were younger b/c of its purple color. there is red and yellow swiss chard too! sunshine is the best source of vit d.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Someone on CM knows about the WHO recommendations on anything besides me!!! And knows that cows' milk is for baby cows! Yes!

Human children never need to drink cow's milk. It can cause digestive problems, constipation, anemia, and obesity. Kids can get protein, calcium, and vitamin D (actually not a vitamin but sunshine) from other sources.

Kids only need to drink water. They don't have to have other milks like soy. Most of us enjoy some milk products like cheese or milk substitutes like soy milk on cereal. Toddlers usually do ok with small amounts of milk or soy if they don't have allergies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes, stop the cows milk and continue to give her your human milk!!! If the problem goes away then you know it was the cows milk (and yes, it can take 2 weeks for it to get completely out of her system). Check out the info at Cow's Milk and Toddlers "There is no need for additional milk or as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Standard troubleshooting is to figure out what changed and change it back. So drop the cow's milk and see what happens. It's fine if she doesn't get it...water is fine for hydration and the nutrients are in other foods.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010