Stay at home dad? How do you feel?

I would like to know how many people really have a problem with a stay at home dad.
My husband and I have tried him working and me at home and me working and him at home, with him at home it just works. We are so much happier, we don't fight or argue, and the kids seem to really like it too. (I make more money so finances are better too)
The reason I am asking is because it really hurts his feelings that he is sort of ridiculed for this. We live in a small town where my family is very well known, and my dad and all of his "buddies" have the old timer sense of the man should work and the woman stay home.
We are fine with it, and we are happy, so we aren't going to change, but I would just like to know how other people feel about couples who have this arrangement.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Wonderful! That is great you found what works for you guys. I think it is awesome, as long as kids are happy, finances are good and you and him are getting along... what more could you ask for?!
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I am all for it!!! My DD stays home with each of us equally just because our work schedules work out that way! If I made enough money where we would be good if just I worked, I would be allllll for it!
    Anonymous

• we do the same
    Anonymous

• i thought it was great at first but then dh didnt do any cleaning, only cooked. i wouldnt complain but at the same time i was working from 7am-5:30pm, then went to school from 6pm-10pm. i didnt come home until 10:30-11pm every night. i spoke to him until i couldnt anymore. the house was a mess everyday. i was so tired from my long day then to come home and clean. ill never do that again.
    Anonymous

• Better him than me!

As long as you can put money away for college and get a great jump on retirement savings, it is fantastic that either of you are happy staying home.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If it works for the family and they are happy, good for them. Far too many people like to stick their nose in and have their say, especially the old time attitude that women should stay home and men go off to work, but the bottom line is it's none of their business anyway. I like to see a dad who is okay with staying home. I see no problem with it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My husband was a sahd when my our son was born. Not really by choice we had children when we were young our son was born when my husband turned 17 and his mother wanted him to focus on school instead of working. So, I did the working. I liked it much better when he was the one staying at home. No one really had a problem with it other than my parents. They believe hes the man he should have a job. Its all good now hes found a job he loves and I dont mind being a SAHM.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Whatever works for your family. It's no one's business but your own. I think any parent at home with the children is better than none. I actually know several families with stay at home Dad's.
    Anonymous

• I think it's great if it works. It's becoming more common.
    Anonymous

• My next door neighbor is a SAHD. He runs the kids everywhere and does everything a SAHM would do. I think it's great.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010