Is this overkill? FS question? Can I ask for a reduced amount?

I applied for FS in early December and had my interview today. The case manager told me I would be getting $443 FS next Monday or Tuesday for the month of December, then she said I should expect a payment of $609 FS by the 15th of January for this month's benefit. So within a few days I will have 2 FS payments totaling $1052.00.

I appreciate the help but I honestly feel that it's too much. I am single with 3 kids. I only have a small apartment sized refrigerator so even if I used it all, it would go to waste because there's no place to store that much food.

My friend thinks I should just take it and share it with her but I already feel guilty. I'm afraid if I talk to the case manager about reducing the amount they will assume I don't need anything, which I do. Just not that much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• You don't have to use your whole month's allotment of food stamps in that month. Use what you need. The balance will stay on your card. Last time we received food stamps we were able to buy food with our left over money two months after we stopped receiving benefits.
    Anonymous

• I'm tempted to say spend it if you have to (do you have to spend it by a certain day or time?). Then donate the food to a shelter that way it is still helping those that need it. I don't think there's much they can do as far as reducing it. They calculate it based on set rates. Not following those rates can cause the local gov't to lose funding.
    Anonymous

• when I got food stamps in excess of what I needed, I honestly didn't think about asking for a cut back, but I did take the excess food I got to the salvation army so that other less fortunate people could use it.

What I would do is, wait, do your shopping for January, see how much you spend. Then go back and tell them you don't need as much if that's the case.

and I commend you for not just taking all! bravo!
    Anonymous

• I doubt they will do anything, you don't have to use it all at once.. it can stay on your card for awhile and just use it when you need it. and good luck with this question, a lot of moms on here can get really rude about this subject!
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• U may not have to use the full amount. I have seen people with a debit card so just use as much as you need and leave the rest on the card. Never had FS but I think that would work if it is the debit card that you get.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I think that it is admirable that you want to have the amount reduced, but if you don't use it you lose it. They get some of their money back if you don't use it all by the time you get you next installment. Use what you can and don't use the rest. I do know people that sell their FS for 50 cents on the dollar (they buy you groceries and you give them half the amount in cash). I wish I didn't know that this happened but it does. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• This happened with my sister (we're in IL) and they reduced her down to around $90 per month, which isn't enough. But she didn't need the $550 that they were originally going to give her. So I would suggest maybe buying food for a homeless shelter or food pantry. Or even sharing with your friend or family members who could also use the help.
    Anonymous

• The first poster is right - the balance will remain on your card. If you no longer qualify for FS at some point, you will still be able to use what is on your card. There are many people who truly need the help but don't qualify. I don't think you should ask for a reduced amount. There is no shame in taking food assistance. My family had to do that when my husband suddenly lost his job and unemployment benefits were denied.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010