so my dad is mexican, so i'm half mexican . since i never had a quincenera am i not a woman?

mexican, quincanera

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL
    it's a celebration of turning into a woman, it doesn't MAKE you a woman!
    Anonymous

• I had always thought that the quincanera was more of a celebration of a girl turning into a woman. I don't think you HAVE to have one to be a woman. It happens with or without it. You kept aging, right?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The Quinceanera, is just a "coming of age" tradition. Don't worry you are still a woman, LOL.
    Anonymous

• There are lots of quinceaneras going on where I live. Its like the mexican 15th cumpleanos version of the sweet dies y seis . Its definitely a celebration con familia y amigos and gifts. The dress is mucho mucho importante.

Do you gusta mi "Spanglish?" lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i never saw it as a becoming a woman thing, i'm hispanic also and it's just a birthday party. the hispanic version of a sweet 16. Hispanics dont see 15yo girls as women, they view them as teenagers, that's it, especially the dads, they always see their daughters as their little girls.
    Anonymous

• a birthday party doesnt make you a woman, your chromosomes make you a woman.
    Anonymous

• yep that is exactly what it means
    Anonymous

• Well, you might not be OFFICIALLY for sale to get married ! :-)

.... just like the debutante balls of the American South, a quince-anera is the official announcement to the town that this girl is of marriageable age, and available.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• LOL. I pictured you with grey hair pig-tails, glasses on a chain and a lolli-pop!!!

You should throw yourself a quinca now!!! For your next birthday make it all fancy, get a white lacy princess dress and make it official. That would be such a fun and funny thing!!! When my friend turned thirty she threw herself a "quinca-quinca" and it was so much fun.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• This is a silly question. This has nothing to do with what makes you into woman. I always heard that your period announces the day you become a woman. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010