I just had my daughter 3 1/2 weeks ago. What are the chance of me getting pregnant, if I am not using any protection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The World Health Organization recommends waiting for 3 years after having a baby before ttc. It's hazardous for you and the developing baby for you to get pregnant 3 weeks after giving birth. The doctor wants you to wait 6 weeks to make sure you have stopped bleeding, you can be checked to make sure stitches have healed ect, and so you get on birth control and understand the importance of birth control.

Breastfeeding delays the return of fertility. For it to work you have to feed on demand 24/7 with no pacifiers and no bottles. You still shouldn't count on it unless you are skilled at fertility awareness, including tracking bbt and cervical mucus.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• well, if you follow the doctor's orders of no sex for 6 weeks, then you shouldn't be pregnant again. otherwise the risk is the same as any other time you haven't used protection.
    Anonymous

• I heard your more fertile after having a baby.... Is that a myth? And, does breastfeeding have an effect on fertility?
    Anonymous

• it could happen - a friend of mine did just that. whoops....

but if you follow dr's recomendations and wait the 6 weeks.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I heard that you are more fertile in the 6 weeks after you have a baby than any other time I don't know if that's true or not cause I always waited the 6 weeks or even longer than that
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 4:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If you are exclusively breastfeeding on demand (no pacifiers or bottles), including a few times during the night, and you have not had a period yet, then your chances of getting pregnant in the first 6 months are less than 3%. If you are not breastfeeding exclusively and frequently then all bets are off!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It varies woman to woman. Consider it 50-50.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would wait until 6 weeks, but if you feel that really must, then use a condom. My sister-in-law got pregnant right away and has two kids born in the same calendar year.
    Anonymous