Formula for night time?

My 6 week old doesnt sleep well at night and was wondering if i could give him formula to help him sleep better.

KatieDid19

Asked by KatieDid19 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 week olds don't sleep well at night. Try nursing him on demand and he will sleep when his body is ready for it.
    Anonymous

• He is only 6 weeks? I breastfed and gave formula to my child, it is proven that breastfed babies wake up more in the middle of the night, but you are the mom, and you need to decide what is best for him. But yes, you can do it, but its no guarantee that its going to help a 6 week old sleep better. Good luck! My son didn't start sleeping thru the night until closer to 4-5 months

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It's normal for babies to wake at night until they are 3 years old!

Giving your baby formula at night if you are breastfeeding can ruin breastfeeding and baby still won't sleep through the night until developmentally ready. Formula fed babies don't sleep through the night.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It most likely will NOT help. Check out Will giving formula or solids at night help baby to sleep better?

Feeding your baby solids or formula in an attempt to make baby sleep longer is not a good idea for several reasons:

There's no evidence that it will help. Some babies will sleep worse, due to reactions to the formula or solids (tummy ache, etc. are not uncommon), particularly if baby is younger than around 6 months.

Scientists are saying that it appears that long sleep stretches are not "natural" for human infants and that sleep interruptions in the early months may provide a protective factor against SIDS.

There is no problem

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Why would you expect a six week old baby to sleep through the night? My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours; she was 14 months when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis.
    I would have lost my mind from sleep deprivation if we hadn’t co-slept; it was easy to doze or sleep while my baby ate.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son slept the same on breast milk and formula at that age.
    Anonymous

• Been there done that....didn't think it was possible for my son to sleep LESS....but that's just what he did on formula...

Sorry, part of the Mommy Contract is a clause that promises you will never get eight straight hours again till you're in the grave. **smile8* Hang in...it DOES get better.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Infants are designed to wake at night. Feed them and go back to sleep. If you want to try formula at night, it's ok if you're ok with it, but it can change the intestinal flora and possibly affect your supply.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Babies do not sleep the way we do. A six week old NEEDS to wake up to eat. It is not a good idea for them to fast for too long or to enter deep sleep for too long (they may forget to breathe). During a growth spurt expect more wake ups. 3 hours is the average sleep duration.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• For all the moms saying it is dangerous to feed a baby formula so they'll sleep through the night because they could deep sleep too long and forget to breathe...that's poor information. Strictly formula-fed babies don't forget to breathe. Babies who sleep through the night do it because they don't feel a need to wake up to eat, and it doesn't mean they're going to die because of it. I am a breastfeeder, but I also know that formula these days is getting closer and closer to human breastmilk and if someone wants to supplement, so be it. Baby will be just fine.
    diegozaney

Answer by diegozaney at 1:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010