• In the Spotlight:

Daycare moms: how long did it take for you to be at ease with missing your baby???

My 18 month oldis starting full-time daycare tomorrow. I've been repressing the emotions until now and I'm an emotional wreck. If you were the same way, how did you cope? How was your little one's first day of day care???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son started daycare at 7 months. I cried when I dropped him off, it was way harder on me than it was on him! I was sad for about a week, but more sad on the days leading up to taking him for his first time. He had a great day, and was happy as can be! Good luck, it honestly gets easier!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It took 1 month my baby was 16 months when she started. Baby was in a routine a lot faster than I was. Don't worry as long as you have done your homework choosing your daycare, you are good to go.
    Anonymous

• It is only minor practice to when you really have to let go, it is a good or bad experience depending how you want to look at it. It is bad because it tugs at your emotions for a short time, and good because it means your baby will learn to do without you for a while and experience learning in many phases,
    he will learn and in turn so will you.

Answer by older at 4:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My babies all started daycare by the time they were 4 1/2 months. It was hard every time, but especially hard with the first one. I felt mostly better after a couple of weeks, but it would come and go from time to time for various reasons. Now I am mostly happy with the situation. My youngest is almost 2 1/2 and he loves going to "school" to play with his friends.
    Anonymous

• My DD was almost three when I had to put her in FT child care because I was starting FT nursing school. It was hard for both of us for a couple of months. The first day she cried and clung to me and pleaded me not to go. It was horrible. My 17 month old will be starting next Monday because I'm going back to FT school after a break to stay home with him, so I get to go through that again.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son started daycare at 3 months... so it's been a long time now. At first it was much harder... I would miss him like crazy... and some days would be harder than others. And still sometimes I have hard days when all I want to do is go home and be with him. But most of the time I am busy at work and everything is fine. I know he enjoys his time at daycare, he has a lot of fun playing. And he only goes part time, DH and I work opposite shifts... so he is home at night with his daddy and they have a great time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2010