Im young, used to be 135 now im 200 with a thyroid disease idk how to loose the weight, any ideas?

I have a thyroid condition, I knew it righ away as soon as i got pregnant. i was on medication throughout my entire pregnancy. When i hit 6.5 months pregnant i got pre-eclampsia, so i gained a ton of weight. After deliverythey took me off thyroid meds thinking i would be fine. It took me 9 -10 months to get them to put me back on it, which was way late. I had gained 60lbs over that time.Im young i do not want to feel gross about myself. Anyone who has had this same issue please help with any advice how to loose it please! No matter what i do i cant loose it, pilates, counting calories, running, working out... nothing helps!
Thank you in advance for any advice given!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• my friend has a thyroid problem and her doc told her to avoid white starches (bread, potatos, corn, rice)- she could opt for brown rice, whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes (in moderation), etc. for fruit choices stick to berries0 straw/black/blue/rasp- berries, and avoid red meat.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 4:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The number one thing you can do is get your thyroid condition under control. If you are seeing a specialist for your thyroid issues ask him or her what things you can do that will be safe. Also, be aware that as your weight changes your thyroid medication dosage will probably need to change too. I went to a gym and met with a trainer who told me how many total calories I should eat, how many fat calories, how many carb calories, and how many protein calories. He also set me up with a workout plan to help me with my goals. It was working really well, but after I lost 10 to 15 pounds I felt like I was on speed because my thyroid medication needed to be adjusted to for my lower body weight.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for the advice, I have seen a specialist. I actually have spots on my nodules they said i need to get them biopsied, but i have no health insurance currently and i can not afford it. I am just taking the medication like they have told me and im waiting it out until my husband is in basic training when i get insurance i plan on going right away to get the biopsy done. I try very hard to avoid fatty stuff and i try to eat healthy, it helpshaving a son who is allergic to milk and so he basically eats many vegan type things. Im going to try to avoid starches and eat more fruit. I am not a fan of red meat so im ok on that. Thank you again! I plan on seeing a training too once i have money for it! Its hurting me emotionally being overweight, i never have been so its very hard!
    Anonymous

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010