IF

your kid started hanging out with goth kids and dressing that way and listening to that music (or just did it on their own)...would you hope and pray it's just a phase or would you care if it isn't...
would you let them have their colored hair and makeup and dark clothes? would you walk with them side by side in public and not care what other people might think?
or would you give them a hard time about it?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 4:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I also would expect that my respecting their wishes would also build respect from them. I am sure that if it was important to me for whatever reason that they tone down they would gladly do so because it is rarely if ever asked. Give them the respect and you will get it in return call them freaks and tell them they are an embarrassment then they will hate you and not give you any respect, which I don't think you deserve. I have known many gothic people who are better people than 'the all american" people who drink, do drugs, have sex and are mean when they think nobody is looking. All I care is that my children get good grades, treat people well, don't engage in drugs or premature sexual activity, that they are responsible and loving, I could care less how they dress. And if anybody every told me my kid was a 'freak' it would be a very bad day for them. I would take a good gothic kid over your snotty all american kid.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• * My mother went to the mall with me and would not walk with me because she didn't want people to know I was her kid or had any relation to her at all
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have walked with my son at age 11/12 while he was wearing red plaid skinny jeans, 3 belts, emo hair and wrist bands.....I quess my answer is sure. LOL I wish he had worn goth after seeing his pants.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I will love my kids no matter what.
    I was a kid that did something to my appearance that my parents thought was too drastic and they said VERY hurtful things to me about how embarrassed they were I was their daughter. Then my dad went to a function I had always been invited to before (it was a special thing for us) and he did not invite me. It crushed my heart.
    Please, love your child, more than you love your image.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• We, hubby and I, would have a HUGE issue with it. If it was just the clothing and her grades stayed up and she continued in sports.... we might go a bit easier. But if she opted to change ALL her friends, and listened to that screaming music (can not be good for your hearing) we would have issue with it.

Hubby is a professional and we could NOT allow her to be seen in certain places looking like that.

Anonymous

• My you was a general you...not you the OP.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Sure. She can wear what she wants as long as its not too revealing.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• This is anon :35.

I would also be concerned if she started doing anything "dark" on line that could be looked up. Colleges and future employeers are VERY internet savy and it would NOT be benificial to her in the long run. (btw - we monitor her now and she is very "all american")

Kids dont have a good sence of what will come back to bite them in the butt.
    Anonymous

• I don't want my daughter dressing like a freak. And there will no hair dying in high school. My parents didn't let me and I was fine with that. They have the rest of their lives to screw with their hair and bake in the sun, not under my roof.
    Anonymous

• Damn...Drill Seargent borading schools. Clothes and hair dye and music are not drugs and sex and illegal activities. Geeze.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010