Pre School before age 3!

My dghter is 20 months and the plan was I would stay home with her till she was 3 and then she'd go to pre school. It seems she is very bored at home at times. Sometimes she will play with her toys but usually she is just hanging on me while I try to get things done. I take her to a playgroup once a week but Im not sure if it's enough. Should I send her early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I sent my daughter to preschool when she was 2 for 2 mornings/week for the same reason - with her two older brothers gone at school she wasn't as interested in playing as long. It also allowed me to get my things done in the morning so I could spend time with her in the afternoon, just playing.

Answer by missanc at 5:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If you are interested in her learning, then the answer is no. Children do not need to go to school before they are 7 or maybe even 12. Before that children do not learn best in group settings. There are some studies that actually show if a child starts early they end up doing worse at school when they are older.

Children do not learn socialization skills best in same age groups. These skills are best learned in groups of people of all ages.

If she is bored then you can do things to make your lives exciting and help her develop into a lifelong learner. Don't worry about ABCs and writing her name. Encourage nature awareness, musical interest, creativity, ect. Read about the ideas of Howard Gardner and John Holt online or from their numerous books. Don't trust others to 'teach' your child.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thx and funny you mentioned Gardner. The school Im sending her to (there's a waiting list) Using his techniques.
    Anonymous

• My state has a program called Head Start, but the earliest they will start is 2 and only if potty-trained. I suggest trying to take her places if possible. Check out what your community has. Here our muesuems and zoos have free days, the library is always free and has story and play times for young kids.
    table4eight

Answer by table4eight at 9:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2010