Did you have a baby shower for any of your children after your first?

Is it inappropraite to have a baby shower for my pregnancy. I had one with my first but not my second. My sister in law wants to throw me one for this pregnancy. Did you have more than one for your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nope. I had one for my first and that is it. We saved the big baby things and clothes and then people just brought gifts when the children were born. But that is how things are done around here. If it is common in your area to have more than one, have one!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I was divorced then remarried; my new husband and I had our son, who is 8 years younger than my youngest. We had two showers for him. (My friends and my husband's family threw them.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yep. I had one for each child and I have two children.
    There is nothing wrong with it. If you already have what you need from the first, then ask for people not to bring gifts. A baby shower doesn't have to be about the gifts. It's really about the celebration of the arrival of the newborn. You can have one for any child that you want to. It's up to you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I had one for my 4th - he was 8 years later than my 3rd and I had gotten rid of all my baby stuff. I also had much different friends and a new husband who hadn't been a part of the shower 12 years ago when I had my first.

Answer by missanc at 5:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I had one for each baby I had. I still had all the big stuff (crib, stroller, carseat, etc) and most of the clothes, but to me a baby shower is less about gifts (though of course everyone brings one) and more about celebrating the new member of the family. If you don't need the big stuff or even the little stuff, you'll still need diapers, wipes, toiletries, and every baby deserves a few new outfits.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i felt special with my showers, i had one with both my girls but tyhe first was with my family and friends and with my second it was with my hubbies family because we moved out of state. i am preggers with my first boy now and hope i get one for him with the new friends i have made.
    VDietrich

Answer by VDietrich at 5:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my kids are 12 yrs apart. for my 2nd i had 3 showers. all surprises. my congregation threw me one, my job and my family.
    Anonymous

• I am pregnant with my first baby now, but I believe you should have a baby shower for each of your new babies. Each child is special and unique. You should treat them all with the same excitement and treat yourself to the wonderful joy of being around friends and family that oooo and awww while you open gifts a.k.a money savers!
    OrganicMomnDad

Answer by OrganicMomnDad at 6:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I didn't have another baby shower, but I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating the birth of each child. If you don't need gifts, you can ask that it be a no gift party or ask for items to be donated to a charity or shelter instead of a gift for you or your baby.
    Anonymous

• I had one with my first. Not with my second because I just saved whatever I had from my first since they were both boys. I did with my 3rd because she was a girl and my ex-MIL felt it was her job to throw one. I didn't really care. I didn't with my 4th because I still had some left over boy stuff and just bought what I didn't have myself. My fifth one I did because he was with my current s/o and it was his first baby. So, since he was also my s/o's mom's first grandbaby she wanted to have one. I didn't care. This time I don't think I want one, but if someone throws one, it don't bother me.
    table4eight

Answer by table4eight at 9:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2010