How to wean baby

I've been breastfeeding for almost 13 mos and have been unsuccessful in weaning need some tips????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you are having difficulties weaning then breastfeeding must still be important to your baby. You have done a great job breastfeeding!

The World Health Organization recommends all babies breastfeed until at least age 2. It's normal for a 13 mo to bf and resist attempts to take it away. The ideal situation is to breastfeed at least 2 years and then until the child outgrows the need.

There are several books on weaning. The LLL website has info along with www.kellymom.com.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I'd encourage you to keep it up as the World Health Organization suggests a minimum of 2 years. If you must wean now then check out this article: Weaning at One

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i did mine slow, for a week cut her feedings in half,like if ur feeding for 10 minutes on each breast try 5 minutes. then the next week cut out one feeding, like i was feeding my lil one at that age 3 times a day, feeding for both her naps and when she went to bed. then i took out her 1st nap feeding.and so on. i also had no problems at all with hurting or being engorged
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I suggest weaning when the child is ready. Like the first person says it might still be important to your child. When they are ready they will tell you. Great work getting to 13mths though! Keep goin mama!
    Anonymous

• I bf my son for 19 months, but from about 14 months or so it was only one or two feeding a day then for the last 3 months it was only at bed time. My son was a serious boob man, I never believed anyone that said he'd do it himself...but he did a few weeks ago. If you are certain that you want to be done then do as all other suggested and cut back slowly, it will be the easiest for your baby and for you. I never had any breast pain at all, but hear it can be very painful to just stop.
    I wish you the best of luck, but take it from a momma that loved every moment of nursing my son...it kind of broke my heart when he decided that he was done...so savor it as long as you can.
    What an awesome job you've done so far!!
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 8:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son is 2 and still nurses only at bedtime. I don't know hold he was, but at some point I just told him it only for bedtime. He accepted that and it was alot easier than completely weaning.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010