At what age did you put your child in a toddler bed?

and how did the first few nights go?

hnfields

Asked by hnfields at 5:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'm going to have to bump but am wondering the same thing!! my son doesnt climb out or anything at this point, but LOVES bed and nap time lol hes also a blanket freak and i could totally see him enjoying climbing on and off his bed. prob is, he's only 13 months, so i'm not sure how to tell when he's ready....
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have tried it a few times but i find that my daughter would rather stay up all night and play instead of sleep. She is 19 months old and keeps putting her legs thru the railings of the baby bed. I am so worried that she is gonna get stuck.
    hnfields

Answer by hnfields at 5:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my son turned 2 in Nov and it was almost ON his birthday my husband caught him trying to lift his leg over the bed. we had a crib that turned in to a toddler bed so we did that and bought a bed rail - he HATES sleep by the way so I had been dreading this day.. but he stayed in it, then 2 weeks later, we got a twin size bed for free from my mom so once again, I got scared cause even the crib turned toddler bed still seemed like a crib to me, but we are on day#7 and so far so good.. he wakes at night because of previous illness but when he wakes up, he crys for me, doesn't try to come and get me... ugh.. I am SO thankful...I would keep them in there til they are ready!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My daughter is 20 months and not ready yet. SHe hates blankets and just started laying on the couch with me. Kids are all different.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• ps my son would never had stayed in bed had it been under 20 months - he didn't get the whole beditme thing and I ve had routines since 7 months and charts since 15 months...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• 17 months because he was climbing out of his crib anyway. And it's not been any worse than with his crib... he actually is doing a little better, I think because he doesn't feel "trapped"
    He's been sick since we changed it over though... cold, then teething and now stomach flu... so we don't have a good idea of how he would be doing if he was feeling well... right now he is waking a lot at night and often time ending up in bed with us at some point.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• 2 1/2. He never tried to climb out or anything, he just decided one night that he DID NOT want to sleep in his crib, and he's been sleeping in his big bed ever since. I checked on him the first few nights, but he's never gotten out; when I put him down for the night, he stays down until he wakes up. I guess he was just ready.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Around 2 or so. The first week was a lot of putting them back in the bed and some whining, but eventually, it worked out pretty good. With one of my kids we went to the store and I let him pick out some cool sheets himself and that helped keep him in the bed. He couldn't wait to sleep on his new Spider-Man sheets.
    table4eight

Answer by table4eight at 8:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my daughter was 2 1/2
    Moody1418

Answer by Moody1418 at 5:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2010