will my mother's estate pay the balance on her vehicle or do I have to pay out of pocket to keep the vehicle

I was told the vehicle would have to be paid out of my personal funds and her estate will not pay the balance. ( vise versa what I was told the day before) Is this right. I feel like my lawyer doesn't want the car to be paid out of her estate because his fee is paid out of the estate and he wants to keep as much money in the pool as possible. Help Please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• More then likely you will have to pay ouf of pocket. When my grandmother died I had to sell all her items and it all went to her estate. Then I could divide her estate evenly for her children.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My GMIL recently passed with several heirs, so I've heard a lot about this works lately. The short story is you will have to pay it, but if you are the only heir, you would receive whatever other money there is and you may end up not being out money.

If there are multiple heirs, the value of the car may be deducted from your share of the estate.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It depends how her estate is set up and what is there. When my mother passed there was enough insurance and all of that to cover any bills or expenses. It just takes a while to all get worked out. Is your attorney getting a percentage of the estate or a flat fee? Ours worked out a flat fee, which looked like a lot but in comparison wasnt.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• When my dad passed away the estate paid off my dads mortgage, car loan and other bills. What was left over was divided between my brother and me. I would speak to another attorney to keep this one on the up and up.
    Anonymous