Any suggestions on how to raise my daughter vegetarian and not deprive her of important nutrients?

joujou19

Asked by joujou19 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• Breastfeed at least the first 3 years. That will give her a good start and you a long time to adapt to feeding her a vegetarian diet with human milk as back-up.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• breastfeed for as long as possible.
    and talk to your pediatrician.

EileenJay

Answer by EileenJay at 6:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• These are a couple websites that may be helpful for you.

The Vegetarian Society

Vegetarian Diets for Children: Right from the Start

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Breastfeeding is ALWAYS a good beginning (please no debate!). The Dec. Parents magazine has an article about exactly this topic. If shes already eating solids, try foods like peanut butter, beans, lots of fruits and veggies.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son is allergic to Milk and certain proteins so he doesnt eat meat and has a very much vegetarian diet. He is super healthy and gets all his nutrients. All we do is do alot of reading and we buy things enhanced with dha and omega 3 and we give him a daily vitamin. He has perfect iron levels and everything. Hes 2 now and we have known hes alergic to milk since hes been 10months old. I would say just do alot of reading and research to find the best whole foods stores to give you variety and more options with alot of information. Best of luck!
    Anonymous

• I am not a vegetarian but when my daughters are sick or teething and dont want to eat I will give them pediasure and gerber has something out like that now.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• There are all kinds of things out there that offer the protein and iron a person would need. Beans, eggs, peanut butter are just a few things out there that offer what you can eat w/o eating meat and still get the needed nutrients. I'd do research if you're not a long-term vegetarian and are considering this way of life; maybe look up what meat provides and then do a Google search for foods with that and scroll down the list until you find some non-meat things to add into your diet. Iron for instance can be found in liver, but also broccoli, spinach and greens are high in iron. My husband, children and I love vegetables, fruit, meats and cheeses so although we do not lead a vegetarian life we have favorite meals that are vegetarian.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010