Is respect earned or given?

My thoughts? "what kind of IDIOT thinks that respect is EARNED, not given."

By default everyone deserves respect until something has been done to have that respect revoked.

Your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think everyone GETS respect until they've done something to lose it, then you've got a LOT of work ahead of you to EARN it back. :-)
    Anonymous

• Given
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I think it's a little bit of both, I respect everyone, as long as they respect me. If I am disrespected, you don't get my respect. So from that point of view you have to earn it, by giving it!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• A little bit of both..... you reap what you sow

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 6:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It is both. If you want respect then you must give respect, and vise versa.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 6:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It's funny isn't it because a lot of women on here seem to think that kids need to earn respect. I totally disagree.
    Anonymous

• OP - I just see SO MANY women on here saying that "respect is a privilege that is earned" or "respect is not given freely" and I am just like "...are they serious?" Respect and trust are NOT synonymous people!
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the person. Parents are given respect, or so I was taught by my parents. I was raised Air Force so respect was always foremost in our home. As for the general public, I go on a case by case basis. My DH and I live on the rule "You get what you give".
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010