Putting Rice Cereal in Bottle at Night

I am thinking about putting a little rice cereal in my 3 1/2 months old bed time bottle in the hope that he will sleep through the night. How much should I put in the bottle.

Maxsmommy0909

Asked by Maxsmommy0909 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NONE...unless the doc tells you to do it for reflux. It's a choking risk and you may find that your baby not only sleeps through the night but forever more.

The infant gut also is not ready for that.

Keep in mind that sleeping through the night is a mere five hours. That's often not achieved for a long long time...what YOU do matters not at all. It merely makes you feel like you're doing something. They will sleep loinger when THEY are ready to. Best thing you can do? Don't try to make him sleep. Follow HIS patterns. He'll start sleeping longer i you just don't mess with what's in his nature to do or not do.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Start off slow. We started our daughter at about that age, and we did it so that the milk was just a little bit thicker to start with. That allows the digestion to get use to something new. If the baby ends up with bm's that are thicker than normal, you've used too much. Back off a little bit, and try a smaller amount.
    The hard thing about asking a question like this is that every child is different and will react differently. Good luck to you.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• dont put it in a bottle for one and two cereal wont help him sleep any better try baby food ..
    Anonymous

• Baby food is no different than cereal in terms of this. Solids are solids as far as the infant digestive system is concerned. And don't encourage sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I fed my son off a spoon at 2 1/2 months. just make the cereal runny and make sure it is rice cereal.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 7:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I don't think its a good idea to do at all. Babies wake up. That's how they're designed. Feed them when they wake, and go back to sleep. I mean, you do what you feel is best, but this is how I feel about it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Sleeping "through" the night for a baby is four hours. Even adults wake through the night to pee or to quench thirst...only THEY can get it for themselves. A growing baby needs food at that age around the clock expecially during growth spurts. Cereal won't make a baby sleep through the night. It does however have a high probability of creating bad gas and cramps and then you won't get any sleep at all.

Never put food in a bottle. And it is not advised ever to give a baby solids who can not sit up unassisted and has not yet lost the tongue thrust reflex. That happens around six months of age. Babies that young are designed to expel food from the mouth so you will be wasting an awful lot of energy scraping food off the baby's face. I don't say this to be mean, but parenting doesn't end at sundown and the baby is doing things that are normal for that age.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I also want to point out that "baby food" is a marketing ploy. It is a wast of money in my opinion. YOu are spending moneyon something that is overboiled and is half water. Baby cereal has no nutritional value and the iron they put in it is very constipating expecially for a formula fed baby that has iron in the formula. Avoid it.

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It is a choking hazard and will not help you baby sleep more. Babies aren't built to sleep through the night; sorry this is inconvenient for you.
    Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Some of your answers were very helpful, thanks! Some made me feel like a terrible mother. I have another healthy, happy child, one that I somehow did not choke or harm in any way! He is now 11. I was simply posing this question to the board to see what others thought. Thanks to those of you who provided me with useful responses!
    Maxsmommy0909

Answer by Maxsmommy0909 at 6:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2010