i breastfeed my baby during the day but give him formula at night. is this bad?

mommyof2cs

Asked by mommyof2cs at 7:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no
    Anonymous

• No, the breast milk just isn't as filling as formula. But some babies get to liking the formula more than the bm. So it depends on if you are willing to change to what he likes sooner than you wanted.
    aklebeyers

Answer by aklebeyers at 7:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Bad? No.

Risky in terms of your supply, yes. Some moms can do this with not a single issue. MORE moms see that they have a decrease in supply, and those nighttime bottles start becoming daytime bottles as well...and then baby is 100% formula fed.

Your decision of course...but I'd save bottles for when you are NOT there, just in the interest of preserving your supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• No. Why would you think it was bad? There is nothing wrong with suplimenting. I did that on occassion. If I was too pooped to pop my husband would have to do the feeding, and he isn't exactly equiped for such things.
    If you are really worried about it, you can pump of some extra during the day to fee do him at night. My nurse told me that you can freeze breastmilk for up to three months in little snack size bags, and then put a whole bunch of the snack size bags into a freezer safe quart size bag. Worked great for us. The days we didn't have any left over or frozen and I just wasn't up to feeding her, my dh would make a bottle of formula. No biggy.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I hope not because thats what I do! I give him breastmilk during the day and then fill him up with half formula/half bm at night. Then I pump after he goes to bed. It seems to work well for us. He sleeps through the night and is a happy baby with a full tummy.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If you're ok with it, then it's fine. If you notice a change in your supply, you might want to rethink it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with it, but you'll have a better milk supply if you BF or pump on a regular basis. Have you thought about pumping and bottle feeding breast milk at night? Just an idea.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Also, wanted to add that your baby might get used to the "instant gratification" of the faster flow of a bottle, and begin refusing to nurse. Not saying it will definitely happen, but it's a possibility.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Its not bad in the way you mean, but you are putting your own milk supply at risk. Only a few women don't have problems. It would be better if you pumped and gave that so that you aren't missing feedings and your body is maintaining supply.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• We did that too. DH would get up with him at night and feed him and he didn't want to warm up the breastmilk... so he did formula. The first few months I would pump quick so that it didn't have an impact on my supply but when he was older I didn't.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2010