Potty training and visitation..

Anyone have any tips for how to best handle the beginning stages of potty training, within the context of visitation? My son has 10 hours of visitation every other week (5hrs sat, 5hrs sun), and has been out of diapers during the day for a few days now.

My ex and I are not on good terms.

I'm thinking let him know in advance that the child is no longer in diapers and what to expect/what supplies he might need, and drop son off with extras if possible. (Although I hate the idea of having to re-buy if I don't get them back, since my ex has plenty of supplies in his apartment that my sister gave me when he/I were still together, and I already had to re-buy once. *sigh*)

I've already put off potty training about a half year longer than I would have otherwise, because I wanted my son to be completely ready for it before the chaos of combining it with visitation..

Gruntlings

Asked by Gruntlings at 7:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This was a struggle for my ex and I when potty training began. I just let him know ahead of time they were not wearing diapers during the daytime and to be prepared for anything that may occur. I also tried to explain how I was handling each child, as in asking them if they needed to go and if they had not been in a while making them go to the bathroom to try. I never sent extra supplies for the kids but I had a bag in the car so that if he called I could just go to where they were and take care of it. Our son is 5 and he still trys to make him wear a pull up when they are going somewhere. My son refuses and is fully capable of using the bathroom but my ex doesnt want to deal with anything. He never took our daughter out anywhere unless his mother was with him because he did not want to deal with the bathroom. Just do what is best for your son and it will all work out.
    Heather881029

Answer by Heather881029 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Even though you two are not on good terms for the child's sake you have to be together on the whole potty training thing because it's gonna be more than twice a week it will have to be worked on so you must both come to an agreement with this topic if he is an adult he will understand it's for your child's sake, let him know how you are going about potty training so he can keep the same type of schedule with the training and use the same methods.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010