I make my kids watch true crime shows.

My kids are 13,8, & 5. I watch real life crime shows with them such as child abductions so they can know the real world. Then I explain how they can keep themselves safe. I also watch shows like Intervention with my oldest so he can see the real consequences of drugs. Does anyone do this or disagree with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that it's a good idea age appropriate of course, but the world is a very scary place now a days and I believe kids do need to be taught to be aware of their surroundings, the 5 year old might be a little young yet, but I think you are doing right by this.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• 5 and 8 seems really young to me!! Seems like all you would do is scare the crap outta them and make them scared to leave the house!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• So 5 & 8 are too young to know that there are scary people out there? They are happy well adjusted children who leave the house as long as an adult is with them.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends how graphic the shows are for the younger kids. I don't think kids are too young to know there are scary people in the world, I do think that five and eight might be too young to watch CSI type dramas that depict the aftermath of violent crime. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Ya you can teach your kids to be safe without them having to deal with graphic images on those shows. I watch a lot of them myself, I am a police officer, and I find a few of them kind of disturbing and graphic....There are pictures of real dead people...close up graphic scary ones...your kids DO NOT need to see that. Hell I don't need to see that. You don't want to turn your kids into paranoid fearful introverts who are afraid to leave the house. There are way more good people than bad in the world.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I didnt tsay they shouldn't know there are bad people.. but making them watch shows about abductions and such are a little crazy to me. And real life crime shows like what? americas most wanted? 20 20 mystery? those are NOT shows for kids that young.. they should know there are bad people, but why scare the hell out of them completely by having them watch adult shows? They seem a little young for that IMO.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My mother did that and made me read true crime articles and books and I'm scared of everyone and many things now. I do NOT think you should instill that kind of fear in children. My sister is the same way. Mom did it to her too.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I do not think you should make them watch these shows- if the oldest wants to watch then I would let him/her...
    My son is 13 and up until last year he would get REALLY freaked out and upset if we watched stuff like that around him. I am not sure shy -but this was a big problem in the house for a few years. This past year or so though- he has taken a huge interest in watching Bones- Criminal Minds- NCIS...he LOVES them now. wierd I know.
    I would definitely let them know there are bad things that happen in the world-but not force them to watch the shows
    you may end up making them afraid to go out at all!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• This might cause some very anxious feelings in your children.
    Cyd10

Answer by Cyd10 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• *shy=why
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2010