I am seriously considering conceiving a baby with my partner.

This would be my 1st child with him and his 2nd from a previous relationship. My concern is that he is bipolar. He is taking his meds and controlling it but I just don't know if i feel 100% comfortable bringing a child into our relationship with his condition. I want a baby so bad and he does too. We have been with each other for 7 years. Any ideas?....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• are you concerned your child will be bi-polar? I think if you have a child with him and you are both happy about it then go for it!!
    Anonymous

• Are you concerned he would go off his meds? How has he handled his disease? I have 2 aunts who are bi-polar, one manages well the other does not, she goes off her meds does dumb stuff etc,,,if he falls in the latter category, my vote is no!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• As long as he is and has been in control.. i say go for it! Does he seem ready? I mean i dont see an issue as long as he stays on his meds.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• ideas...no...advice..marraige then babies. Idk if your are married i just read "partner" so i'm assuming you are not.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• if u r not married than no...marriage first then babies
    Anonymous

• You dont have to be married to have babies.. you cn be happy and in love and NEVER get married and still make wonderful parents.. Just my opinion.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• what is your main concern? the baby would be bipolar? or his condition? are you worried that he would flip and leave you?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Bi-polar is hereditary, and when my oldest was born, I was told that if she inherited it, it would present around age 5. And like clockwork, it did. Talk with your doctor and his, and be prepared.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Does he want this child? Do you have an agreement in place for finances, childcare and housework?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2010