How can I overcome my postpartum depression without drugs?

please help me! I find myself going through crazy mood swings and having awful thoughts about myself. Im scared that Im becoming an unfit mother and that my husband is starting to become distressed about this situation. I am breastfeeding and dont want to take any drugs.

hisbabymama18

Asked by hisbabymama18 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get out. I know its cold, but even hitting the mall, walking around can help. Speak to a therapist. If it comes to it, there ARE plenty of meds that are safe to take. For me, I believe I had mild PPD, and just saying it out loud to my doctor and family helped immensely. DON'T feel like a failure if you end up needing medication, and if you really DO need it, take it. I stress getting to a therapist ASAP and getting some light exercise, talking to family and friends about your feelings. If none of these help, I would strongly advise medication. Good luck to you and let me know how things are going.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• There are meds you can take while breastfeeding. Go to www.kellymom.com it has lots of info on meds and breastfeeding. Even if you have to take something and need to stop nursing-that is better for you and your baby than being depressed. Call your dr asap and get the help you need.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Go to a counselor. There are meds that are safe to take while breastfeeding. Also, you need to be stable mentally in order to be a good mom. You may have no other choice than to take meds. Depression is nothing to fool around with. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for having to go to counseling, taking meds or feeling the way you do, it is NOT your fault but it is your job to get better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• go to a counselor can help....just talking sometimes helps.

Get PLENTY of SUN....the vitamin D helps relieve depression.

Get out and do activities even if you dont want to...it will help.

Practice positive self talk...write it down and say it everyday as well as when you notice negative self talk..correct it into positive.

Do something soothing and relaxing for yourself everyday...even if its something small, like a nice bath with special salts or painting you nails.

I have bipolar and mostly get depressive episodes, i have been without meds for about a year and a half...since i took and intensive Dialectical Behavioral therapy course, to change my actions and thoughts that only contributed to my mood swings.

Good luck and feel better.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010