Has anyone elses child gotten an ear infection with tubes in their ears?

The reason I am asking is because my son has a double ear infection right now. I've been doing everything right that the ENT told me to do. I protect his ears when we go out in the cold. So basically, I am just wondering if anyone else had this happen.

Aydans_Mommy

Asked by Aydans_Mommy at 8:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son still had infections for about 2 months after the tubes were put in. But it's been two years now and he hasn't had another infection since.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 8:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My grandson just had that happen. I couldn't figure that out either. That was the point of the tubes!!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• This is Aydan's first one since July. So I am trying to figure it out.
    Aydans_Mommy

Answer by Aydans_Mommy at 10:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes. Tubes are not a cure. They should prevent a large number of future infections, but they don't guarntee there will be no more. My daughter just had an infection. This time last year she had 4. This is her first one so far. So BIG improvement. The doc thought maybe she had gotten water in her ears that caused the infection, but he didn't know for sure. We use cotton balls with vaseline on them in the tub, but my dd likes to lay down like she's swimming, so water may sneak in from time to time. In the pool we use ear plugs. It's possible yours just got unlucky this time or maybe got some water in the tube. If this is the first one since July, is it save to assume that there's still been a big improvement?
    Anonymous

• I use the plugs I was given in the hosptial when he got them put in and I always make sure they are in good so water doesn't sneak in. Yes there has been a huge improvement.
    Aydans_Mommy

Answer by Aydans_Mommy at 3:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• tubes dont typically cut down the amount of infections. The only thing they really do is to allow you to treat them with drops instead of oral meds and so that their is no pain from the pressure of the fluid because it will drain right on out the tube. My son has had 4 sets of tubes and my daughter has had 3 and they constantly get ear infections. They get them like every 6 weeks or so and sometimes they get lucky and go away after a week of drops but other times they last for months.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They didn't give him drops. They gave him an oral med. He won't sit still for ear drops.
    Aydans_Mommy

Answer by Aydans_Mommy at 10:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• An ear infection is the most common thing ever, its not cause you did something wrong. Two out of three children have a ear infection before thier first bday, and eight out of ten will have more than one before age three. Ear infections are usually devolped through a cold. Satistics say that by age three half of all kids have three or more ear infections. They will become more rare after age four. They are very painful and if they occur often you should go to a ENT and see if your kid needs tubes put in. Also breastfed babies have a less chance of getting ear infections. My son is almost two and he has had 2 ear infections already. My other boy is 7 mths and has had 1. Good luck, hope this helped alittle.
    anh2231

Answer by anh2231 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010