I have a grapefruit size cyst on my ovary...

And I'm really scared. It's actually a little bigger than a grapefruit. Has anyone expierenced this before? Or went through the surgery to remove it? I'm going on Monday to see what I can do...any insight would be helpful.

jahair89

Asked by jahair89 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• I'm sorry.. I have had cycsts on my ovaries before but the biggest was the size of a baseball. it ruptured on its own.. they are very painful, but my DR put me on birth control to help control them when i was about 16 years old..
    Wish i could be more helpful to you.. Good luck!!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• A neighbor of mine had one, had surgery, and did fine afterward. She didn't go into details, so I'm afraid I can't help there. Good luck, and I hope all goes well for you. Please keep us updated?

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes. I had one that large and I kept thinking my bladder was sticking out. Mine caused a torsion and I almost lost an ovary. if you start having cramps like you just drank sewage and your guts might burst but you don't have to poop-- you need to go to the ER immediately and get a transvaginal ultrasound of your ovaries.

I've also had one that size burst. It hurts. It feels like battery acid leaking on your guts. They can't do anything for it but give you pain meds.

I am not trying to frighten you. I got with a natural healer bc all the docs said "this is just something that happens" and I didn't like that answer. So I got put on a gluten free diet. No more cysts!!! I feel better.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com --- that's my food blog about my gluten free life-- recipes!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes you should look up polycystic ovarian disease, sometimes the PILL will shrink them, sometimes they will burst, sometimes they go away depending on your monthy cycle, good news????? You have something that is able to be controlled, for some reason I kept getting them on my right ovary, they took the ovary out, and no MORE problems, PM me if you want some more advice, good luck mommy!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I go on monday to see what can be done. I have the mirena iud, so i dont have a regular cycle...im just really nervous about it
    jahair89

Answer by jahair89 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i had a small cyst removed about 3 almost 4 yrs ago. it wasn't bad. if they can, they'll probably try to do a laparascopy procedure, where they go in w/ a camera and instruments rather than opening you up. if it's too big for them to remove through the 1" incision, then they'll open you up.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2010