how can you spank a two year old when it do not work?

my son is two and i don't know what to do with him! time out did not work, taking toy a way did not work, playing with him more then my other two only made it more difecolt with my three year old. i need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youngmom198524

Asked by youngmom198524 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Discipline rule number one is be consistent! Stop jumping around, choose a method and stick with it. You may do time out twenty times a day.

Where do you do time out? We had a cheap plastic chair, called the sad chair, in a corner of the living room.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• sorry i don't have any advice, but wanted to let you know that someone was reading.

I tried spanking my son who is 2 yrs old....he just laughed cuz he thought it was funny.

maybe re-evaluate how you're doing time out? is there anything that you could do differently?

Im sorry and feel for you, good luck!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I personally think Spanking is not the answer ! i'm not judging you either... but sometimes when you spank a child when they get older they end up thinking that thats the only way to solve any other problems they may be having with violence or hitting someoneelse ... i know what you are going through because i have a 2 yr old too..and a 1 yr old .. what worked for me was timeout although not right away but i had to be persistent about it and for like a week i had to put him on time out like 15 times but after 1 week of that he learned and he hardly does what he used to do ...
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 9:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I tried everything with my son, too. Put him in time out and he walks away or takes a toy with him. Take his toys and he plays with his sisters. Spanking is used but it's not my first option. Quick note -- Huggies offer too much cushion for him to feel anything and then having to undress hm too. I pop the palms of his hands. He tries to close his hand so I can't hit them, so I hold his fingertips with my thumb.  That exposes just enough of his hand.  Good luck.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• when our dd was 2, we started putting her in the corner. if she tried getting out, we'd put her back in and then spank her. that did the trick and to this day she still hates the corner and knows that's where she'll go for time out. consistency is key. if you keep changing up the disciplinary methods everytime he acts up, then you're letting him win.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• You can spank him, and it will work, but you will have to do it consistently and you will have to spank him on bare skin so that he feels the sting of it. You tell him one time what you want him to do. If he does not immediately obey, you spank him. When he stops crying, which he will do if you spank him correctly, then you tell him that mommy loves him too much to not help him become and obedient and respectful child. Then you hug him and say nothing else about the incident. Next time you tell him to do something and he doesn't, you repeat the above. It's how I raised my children and it's how my grandchildren are being raised, and I promise you it works and it does not scar in any way. Children have to be taught to respect and obey their parents and they have to learn who is in charge of the household. Spanking is quick and very effective. It's done and it's over with.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• People used to think it was necessary to "spank" adult members of the community, military trainees, and prisoners. In some countries they still do. In our country, it is considered sexual assault if a person over the age of 18 is "spanked", but only if over the age of 18.

For one thing, buttock-battering can vibrate the pudendal nerve, which can lead to sexual arousal. There are multitudinous other physiological ways in which it can be sexually abusive, but I won't list them all here. One can use the resources I've posted if they want to learn more.

Child bottom-battering/slapping vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child bottom-battering (euphemistically labeled "spanking","swatting","switching","smacking", "paddling",or other cute-sounding names) for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.
    PDeverit

Answer by PDeverit at 9:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
    by Jordan Riak,

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
    by Tom Johnson,

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
    by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit www.nospank.net.

PDeverit

Answer by PDeverit at 9:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
    American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
    American Psychological Association,
    Center For Effective Discipline,
    Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
    Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
    Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
    Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
    United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
    PDeverit

Answer by PDeverit at 9:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2010