CIO or cater to baby at night?

My 61/2 month old son has been getting up 2x a night since he was 2 months old. With him teething, he starting getting up every 1-2 hours ... I can't handle that as we don't co-sleep and I work (and he wouldn't nurse during the day well). I've been encouraged to make him CIO or give him a bottle and not to take him out of his crib at night to help him learn to sleep through the night. I don't mind getting up twice at night, but I fear that I'm setting him up for a long road ahead of poor sleep habits. What do you think? He's breastfed, no solids, just under 16#. I think he needs the nighttime feedings in order to get enough milk, not just for attention.

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 9:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also, when he wakes up at night, if he is draining a full breast or both breasts, then he needs the extra calories. If he's nursing for a minute and going back to sleep, then he just wants to be soothed, and that's okay too. This won't last forever, it's just a phase. The only other things I can really suggest to you are caffiene and patience lol. The teething tablets really do work like a charm. I can't stress that enough. Follow your instincts. Responding to baby's needs at this age makes him confident that you will always be there and therefore more independent when he gets older because you will be his safety net. Good luck.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I personally would start bedsharing and when he wakes up, let him nurse himself back to sleep.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• He's in pain. I look at it this way, babies arleady know how to sleep it is the parent that needs to adapt. If I were in pain (and I remember braces and the pain of that really interrupted my sleep). I would want to be comforted in that pain. And I also firmly beleive that especially in times of growth spurts babies need that night feeding.

My baby is three and ahalf months. I follow her pattern. I brought her into this world so my philosophy is that night time parenting is part of that. I would never do CIO.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• LOL! Let him cry it out.... the above posts are absolutely ridiculous. The child needs to learn he has to sleep....
    Anonymous

• if hes crying because he's in pain i think you should pick him up and comfort him..i know what ur going through ... i went through it too and i'm not saying baby him either but i dont agree with the {Let him cry it out} either i believe that you do need to let your child learn to sleep on his own ... but to me his still too small he needs to feel comfort and needs to learn that you'll always be there nomatter what...i started teching my son and babygirl as soon as they turned 1 yr old and started teaching them to go to sleep on their own... Good luck !
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 9:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Six months is much too young for CIO; I would wait at least one more year. Babies need to be comforted. Babies normally don't sleep through the night; they have teeny stomachs. It is cruel to not feed a hungry baby and it is cruel to not comfort a baby who is in pain. Breastfeeding can be for comfort as much as for nutrition; this is why you have breasts.

Bring your baby to your bed; you will all sleep better and your baby's needs will be better taken care of.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I'm going through the same thing with my dd and someone suggested the teething tablets. Those are awesome! She sleeps through the night now. Also, people (not you, but the people suggesting the CIO method for your situation) are so quick to neglect babies because they are "inconvenienced" by being woken up at night because their baby needs something. Guess what people? Babies cry when they need something because they have no other way to communicate, and those needs don't just stop because the sun goes down. If you look at tending to your baby's needs as catering to them or spoiling them, then perhaps you should have reconsidered motherhood. If your son was a year old, I'd say yeah, let him cry it out a little bit, but a 6 month old that is going through a painful phase that needs you should not go ignored.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• No to the CIO, try tylenol before bed. co-sleep. keeping him close might make him sleep longer stretches. this too shall pass.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Try Hylands teething tables to help with the pain. During day he can wear an amber necklace to help.
    I would say start co-sleeping ot bed sharing. I have a 2.5 year old and a 16 month old who still wake up for a snack or a drink. Baby sleep patterns are shorter than ours ( I think 60 mintues for a full sleep cycle compared to our 90 minute cycle). Bed sharing is really awesome. If you can , I highly suggest it. =) You both will get more sleep and you will get to cuddle with a sweet baby. =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Children know how to sleep its God Given . If he crys he needs something .
    Moody1418

Answer by Moody1418 at 5:18 AM on Jan. 8, 2010