Breastfeeing issues...

I have been breastfeeding my 3 MO and pumping but he gets about 1 bottle of soy formula a day because I can only get 1 bottle pumped. He had been screaming for the last few days because he is hungry all the time. I give him the breast he latches and spits me out then cries then repeats the entire thing over and over. It has been getting so frustrating the last few days. Also, when I feed him he spits up the milk out buy not the formula which is what we have been giving him because of what he has been doing. He is getting formula poop now. I am not drying up because I squeez and milk shoots out. I feel so depressed and guilty and want to cry. I am at a total loss and I don't know what to do. My Fiance is being very insensitive and keeps saying its over and things like that making me feel even more depressed. My baby also is very fussy and wants to suck but keeps spitting me out. HELP!

EarthMom23

Asked by EarthMom23 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby is three and ahalf months old. I would ditch the bottles personally except in emergency. The rule in my house is no bottle unless I'm at work. Because I know every bottle is a signatl to my body that milk isn't needed...which is why I pump when I have to miss a feed. a lot of people around me don't understand that! Three months is prime time for growth spurt..the behavior is irritating but normal..especially if the baby is used to the instant gratification of a bottle. Let down takes a minute or two...so a hungry growth spurting baby gets irritated. What can help is to feed the baby before the hunger has really set in...so look for the rooting cues early. Then hand express or pump a little before to get the milk flowing...

I personally would stop the formula. Babies spit up okay? They tend to spit up more when breastmilk and formula is mixed. There is NOTHING wrong with you. CONT
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I'm not sure why you are giving him the formula?? Its a little unclear in your post. but I would stop with any form of sucking other then your Breast. bottle feeding and formula in regard to energy and ease is WAY easier then breast... most babies (and adults LOL) like to take the path of least resistance..... so I would just put baby to breast all day and night for the next say 2 weeks and see what happens... he'll nurse cause he's hungry and your supply will build to meet his demand...after that if you need to pump to go to work I would only let someone else (like SO or you Mom) feed him with a bottle you only feed with breast and they feed bottle when you are not available
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Definitely stop the formula. This is what worked for me, when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My baby also does the popping off thing when she's... very very hungry because I missed the cues she was trying to convey to me...and when she's tired. She'll fuss and waaaah then pop on. then pop off.. then repeat. She settles down when she's got the milk flowing and when her stomach isn't so empty.

Get that growth spurting baby on your breast (he can build supply like no pump can) and tell your family to back off. It's hard but you can do it.

As for pumping...you have to establish a stash. It is really hard to pump on the fly for the vast majority of women which is why you shouldn't supplement with a bottle unless necessary. To increase pumping out put (one ounce is a good pump session) pump twice in the morning between four and eight in the morning when production has peaked; nurse on one side while baby nurses the other; massage the breast while pumping. and get there right pump for your needs!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• jIf you are pumping for full time work you will need a double pump.  If you work part time like me a single one hand electric pump is fine.    See this video for maximizing output: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    The massaging and hand expressing are important parts of maximizing efficiencty of a pump.    Also pump between feedings to stimulate more production...even if you pump nothing but a few drops the stimulation will do its job.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010