my child has anger issues

my son is 19 months and he has anger issues. he wakes up early in the morning and he screams for no reason he dont cry he just hollers then if you dont give him what he wants when he wants then he throws a living fit and you cant calm him down. he wants to bite hit kick what do i do?

faith86

Asked by faith86 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that's not "anger issues" it's just that he has yet to learn how to deal with his emotions. That is something he needs taught, it's not something that comes naturally.
    Anonymous

• put in a safe place, like his room when he has a fit and IGNORE him until he settles down. As long as its toddler proofed(even if you have to take his toys out or put them away) he cannot seriously hurt himself.

The best way to fix a tantrum is to ignore it...and tell him that he is in his room until he can calm down and talk and act nicely. He may not completely understand you words but he will understand you actions if you are consistent.

IMO i would keep most of his toys put/locked up so that if he is misbehaving/temper tantrum, you can easily take them out of the room when you leave him to calm down.

GOOD LUCK!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• he is very smart when hes calm he understands and is a little clown but his anger makes him stupid he focuses only on it. i have tryed sitting him in his bed till he calms but hell scream for hours on end.
    faith86

Answer by faith86 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• ask your doctor for advice maybe?

what kinds of things does he get angry about...is it certain things or certain times of the day? is there any pattern to it?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If I shit myself I'd be pissed to
    Anonymous

• he gets mad mainly about food. ill feed him a good meal he gets a desert and drink and he still screams for more he would eat till he trew up if allowed. then he gets mad if you put him to bed if you give him a toy. or if you dont give him what he wants he gets to run around i try to keep him busy but i got 2 other small boys. he wont sleep with covers he rips his bed appart and throws it at you. i dont get it. i try to show him the right way. i do baby him but i have disaplin
    faith86

Answer by faith86 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my son threw his cover pillows sheets everything out of his crib at that age.. i would normally just ignore him and he would eventually fall asleep...its not going to kill him to sleep on a mattress with out a sheet lol. I also dressed him in feet pajamas and a bit heavier in winter so that if he threw the covers off he would still be warm.

My personal opion and its what i did with my son was that i started ignoring his tantrums...i could tell when he was hurt or scared by his different cries..and i knew it wasn't seperation anxiety because he would scream if i was in the room with him as well.

He is now two and is sleeping fairly well in his toddler bed...i did have to invest in a gate for his room though or else he wanted to make a game out of coming out of his room then running back in when i got up.

i think you are doing the right thing with food if he has already had plenty,
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Have you tried spanking his bare leg and telling him "no"? It worked with my children and it works with my grandchildren.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Nanny- i tried that with my son today....he laughed! lol we will be sticking with time outs lol

my mom spanked me and my 4 siblings and we turned out well adjusted normal adults.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2010