I'm goin nuts!

My DD is 18 months and she is a terror! She will do anything and everything to get her way. Shes a little smart thing too because she knows exactly what she is doing. I need some advice because I feel like I'm screaming at her all day long. I don't want to scream at her! I want to effectively talk to her and if she is doing something wrong talk calmy to her. When she does something wrong, I say No and put her in time out. I guess I dont stick to it as much as I should. But AH I feel so horrible. I just got surgery and I'm trying to recover and I don't have much help around here during the day. It gets so stressful so I'm just get frustrated easily and I yell at her. And I know that it doesn't work at all. What should I do instead?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's only 18 months she is too young to understand time outs or explanations from you when she is being bad.
    Anonymous

• redirect.. i don't think she is to young for time outs...but they should only last ONE minute..of staying in the designated area.

Redirection worked wonders for me, as well as having lots of appropriate activities for him to do.. if kids are busy and entertained they don't have time to get into trouble.

Also Don't give in to her every want and wish...easier said then done lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• really anon? shes not 12 months old. shes almost 2!
    Anonymous

• Yeah I definitly don't give in to every want and wish. (it doesnt help that I live with my parents and THEY give her everything she wants)

tntmom1027.....What kind of activities are appropriate for her age?
    Anonymous

• She is only 18 mo she does not understand time out and she does not understand why you are yelling at her when she is just trying to learn about her surroundings... and that includes what gets your attention positive or negative attention is attention in her mind... so why not try constant 1:1 with her all day long so you color, you paint you go to the park (an indoor one in this weather) you go food shopping together (make her walk) you both wear each other out! if you keep her entertained and directed she wont get in 'trouble' b/c youll be stearing the day... also try the children's museum for a few hours... I know you said your recovering from surgery but Mommyhood trumps all ...and toddler Mommyhood is hard work!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i know how you feel i got a 19 mont old boy he screams all day and i find my self hollering right back. my son is very smart but he has anger issues. im not sure how to calm him. i know that screaming back dont do it. so i think time out is good you should start at 18 months and when she does something bad like hit smack hand say no show her the right way and say softly "easy" that works alot with mine. but my boys problem is he screams and throws his toys. and blankets out of his bed good luck to you
    faith86

Answer by faith86 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i personally think everyone has a different view and opinion about this but i think she is too small to understand timeout ! they can't quite understand every single little thign they do wrong .... you have to try to be more patient and try to understand that her brain cant think very well like ours and they learn little by little but try to keep her occupied with toys ... Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• building blocks ( i just bought my son lincoln logs..he pours them in and out more then he builds though lol) , coloring(i put my son in his high chair to avoid..unwanted coloring lol), my son likes to look at books and name items(even the grocery ad), some fun sing and dance along tapes..gets them moving and burns their energy up.

if you want to supervise them then finger painting..but i havent been brave enough to do this yet lol, mine also likes to help me cook. lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• actually you are WRONG about your reply to the anon.. ther e is a HUGE difference between 18 m/o and 2 year old HUGE ask and parent any professional anyone... read the first chapter of any discipline book they all start with DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOUR CHILD IS 24 months or more even 23 months is too soon
    and I would venture to say 24 months for a female and 30 months for a Male is where routine will begin to take effect
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Okay my bad chill. Didn't need to bash there. But I do know my DD and she does know what time out is. Anyways..
    Anonymous