Cosleeping

This is a ridiculous question, I'm sure ... but how do you co-sleep? Do you put baby to bed in their crib and the first time they wake, bring them to bed with you? Or do you go to bed at 7 when they do? Do you not wear a top so they have easy access to the goods? Fill me in on how this works! Mom to a 6 month miracle:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been co-sleepinig with my DD since she was born. For awhile she would sleep in her crib thru the night...idk what happened! But normally I'd get her to sleep then put her in her crib and if she wakes up put her in bed with me. She learned to just lay next to me. She fell off the bed 5 times tho :( :( Even now, she goes to sleep I put her in her own bed then if she wakes up shes in mine. Honestly...I would advise you to keep your baby in their crib because I have no clue how to get her to sleep in her own bed now and it sucks. When she was born I didn't want to let go of her so I let her sleep with me haha that's how it started. But for my future kids...they are sleeping in their own bed!
    Anonymous

• Jett sleeps with us. I will hold and cuddle him until I am ready to go to bed (ha, it's that or just go to bed when he does). The last few nights I have been sleeping in a sports bra because it is easy to get to the goods for him, but a tank top worked for me too. I usually cradle him in my arm while we sleep but lately he doesn't want me to touch him so I will just scoot him a bit away from me. I tell you though, even a king size bed is never big enough!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It depends on the person. People do as you say. I have a four in one convertable crib sidecarred to our bed to give us more room. But right now it is just a big end table. LOL I go to bed with the baby or my husband brings her to bed from her chair in the living room that she sleeps in during the day (she is three months old) to bed when he comes to bed. It is cold here so I wear a flannel top that I leave unbottoned except for the top button. Sometimes I wear a bra if I think I'm going to leak a lot. Baby sleeps in my arm pit most of the time...I guess that's why when we lie down our breasts end up in our pits. LOL   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• We also use blankets and pillows but the baby is not in danger...I have one I tuck around me my husband has one and the baby is swaddled in hers.  I have a pillow and so does my husband...it gets really cold here.<br /><br />Side carred crib example:  <a href="http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/%22%3Ehttp://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/%3C/a%3E%3C/p>

amileegirl

• My daughter goes to sleep in her own bed. I wish she'd stay there, I hate co-sleeping, but when she wakes up and I lie down with her to nurse, I inevitably fall asleep again, though I do try to put her back in her bed if I'm awake when she finishes, or if I wake up and she's not nursing. I keep my shirt on, but since I usually fall asleep while nursing, one side of it stays pulled up, and I'll switch sides if she wakes me up in the middle of the night to nurse again.

Really, it's whatever works for you. I'm guessing by the way you phrased the question that you know you shouldn't leave babies in adult beds by themselves. If your bed isn't next to a wall, it might be worth it to invest in a bed rail or something (I have a pack-n-play pushed right up to my bed, with a pillow inbetween) to keep baby from falling off the bed. Other than that, try something out and see if you like it, and if not then change it. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son really doesnt like his crib (as most babies! lol )but i do not feel it is safe to cosleep unless you have a seperate attached bassinet co sleeper....my son is older now, 9 months and I feel he is big enough to share my bed but i only put him in there in the morning if its real early and he goes back to sleep....
    the reason i was too stressed out about co sleeping is bc i have heard some awful stories of tragedys with this . i didnt want to risk it.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• we just started cosleeping a couple of months ago. usually she falls asleep in my bed and then i put her in her crib when she is asleep. sometimes she wakes up and i bring her back to the bed this is usually around 3am. sometimes she sleeps right through. it s ok. she has a good bedtime and that is good and she usually sleep through the night in the crib or in bed. she is 9months old and before that she was always in the crib. we just started to spoil her during naps and she liked it. i like it too though. i must say i love waking up to her hugs and kisses.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My daughter has been co sleeping with me since she was born. In the beginning I would put her in the pack in play in my room so when she got up to nurse she would be near me. When I went back to work I started putting her my bed after the 1st night feeding because I was just tired and didnt want to get out of bed. Then we her dad left at 3 months old, she moved into my bed full time. I was lonely at night and needed her to fill that other space since he wasnt there anymore. Now I regret it because at 24 months she is still attached to my hip. Even if I fall asleep on the couch she will get out the bed and come lay next to me on the floor or wake me up.
    Anonymous

• We had a co-sleeper (like soft fence on the bed)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Whichever way works for you. The only rules are pretty much no soft fluffy bedding near baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2010