Doctor visit yesterday plz read??

I went to the doctors today and am 1 cm dilated and 50% softened. She measured my belly like usual but this time she said he is measuring normal but on the bigger side of normal and she is going to get me an ultrasound on monday next week to see how big he really is and if he is bigger she is going to discuss inducing me and next week ill be 38 weeks. Has anyone else had a baby measure on the bigger side and did u get induced? If so how does inducing feel?

Casteel_chick

Asked by Casteel_chick at 9:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was induced at 39 wks w/ my son. I'm not going to lie to you, it was awful. 16 hours of labor then c-section. Don't be affraid to ask for the epidural. lol
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Inducing just makes the labor longer I think but it's no big deal.Don't be worried about it. You'll be closely monitored still.
    Anonymous

• My doctor wanted to induce me because my baby was big. I was measuring a month ahead most of my pregnancy. I chose to wait it out because my sister (who has gone natural and been induced) said that inductions were much more painful. Jett ended up coming on his own the day after they wanted to induce and he was only 7 pounds 11 ounces.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't put much faith in their measurements. I had an ultrasound during my 39th week and the Drs told me my daughter was big and would weigh at least 9 lbs 8 oz but when she was born (2 weeks later!) she only weighed 7 lbs 8 oz.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 9:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• With both my girls i showed 2 to 4 weeks ahead. I was not induced. I went into labor 9 days early with my first and 4 weeks early with my second. I also had small babies 6lbs 10oz and 6 lbs 3 oz..
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i didnt fell anything. it dont hurt. i think it might be better than a normal one.
    Anonymous

• Those measurements are not accurate. The only thing the regular fundal measurements show is whether baby is growing appropriately. Even an ultrasound can be off by quite a bit; mine overestimated by a pound at 38 weeks with my first.

I would suggest letting nature take its course. A lot of people still think that 8 lbs is a big baby, but it's really more average now. Besides which, 38 weeks is still early, especially if you're off on the due date estimation. 38 weeks is just the very beginning of the "due month", of which 40 weeks is just the middle (not even the average, just the middle; average is closer to 41 weeks). Chances are your baby won't be "too big" no matter how big it is, so give your body a chance to do it's thing. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• before you agree to induction ask you Dr these 2 ? how accurate is the US measurement? and what are the risks? like of Csection of prolapse cord of immature lungs ect and then decide if not letting Mother nature take her course is right for you.. my ds measured in at 8lbs 4 ounces in an early Sept US I refused induction he was born on his due date 4 weeks later at 7 pound 14 ounces... that means they were off by a minimum of 2 pounds in early Sept THANK GOD I worked in a NICU and knew to refuse induction
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• induction did not work for me... i never even had contractions, no full blown labor.....nothing at all. ended up with a c-section.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son measured big and he was out 10 days early by c-section because he was breech and BIG...lol
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010