Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are arrest records open to the public?????

I need to obtain a copy of an was in another country (canada) and not my own....I believe it involved drinking and getting into a fight at the border, and that he was arrested until someone came and bailed him out. ... Would there be a record of this, and does anyone have any info on how I could get this? I am not even sure where to start. I need it for a custody case.

Am I even correct that there would even BE a report or record of this, if it was not serious but just a fight? I assumed anything like this would always be kept on file. Its basically the only thing I really have on record to prove that he is unfit and unstable.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (12)
  • Also, if I cannot obtain it, would a lawyer be able to when I do get one? I have not asked yet but I wondered if I could just pay for this myself, or is it not open to the public. Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge of this!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • Also the reason it is so important is bc it was the same day as my daughter was born, making him look pretty bad.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • if you know who he was arrested the border patrol then you can try calling them and asking if you can get a copy of the being another country i have no idea..

    a lawyer may be able to get ahold of it more easily but not garunteed.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • You may be able to request a copy of the report involved but since you are not one of the parties involved in this report your request will likely be denied. Arrest records are not available to the public.

    It also depends on what province he was arrested in as to the Freedom of Information Act for that province. I live/work in Ontario Canada and we are governed by the Ontario Freedom of Information Act

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • idk about canada but in the US you if you know where city the person was arrested in and what jail they are in you can call and get confirmation. I've heard rumors of my son's father being in jail and i called just to make sure it was true...they even tell you what the charges are for

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • get a lawyer, they should know how to obtain that information. I know where i live there is a website in which you can go look up arrest records for the state, but for anywhere else i do not know.

    Answer by xtwilightx at 10:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • sorry...what city..

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • usually the website is only for felony offenses

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • and..if they are serving prison time

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

  • They are public record in the US...not sure about Canada.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.